Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE3 license

Dear Gamers,

I am planning to make a game for my classmates with UE3. I would give it them for free and there wouldn't be advertisement. Do I (still) have to pay for the license? I know it's a UDK forum but I haven't found ue3.
    Well, if yes, do I have to pay for udk license if I make a free game just for some people? (and not for commercial purposes) Can I make a full, well-built game with good graphics with it? Or are there limitations in udk?

Thanks for your help,
    Draghounlord

(Okay, I found answers about udk. But still would be great to hear about it from somebody who is "in" them both.

You can make a free game (i.e make no money whatsoever, directly or indirectly) using UDK without the commercial license.

Comment

UDK is basically the same as UE3, just that you don't get access to the engine's source code. Everything else, save for some specific licensee implementations, is exactly the same. If you provide the game for free without getting any revenue from anything related to the game from it, you don't need a license.

Whether or not you can make a well-built game with good graphics from it depends solely on your skills. It's pretty tough for a one-man team, especially if you have no previous experience whatsoever. But it's not impossible to pull off, you just have to choose a realistic scope for what you want to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        You can make a free game (i.e make no money whatsoever, directly or indirectly) using UDK without the commercial license.
        Indirectly? Do if somebody would sell it, I would be inculpated too?

Thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Draghounlord View Post
          Indirectly? Do if somebody would sell it, I would be inculpated too?

Thank you both.
          If someone makes money from the game in any way, shape or form then they have to get a license yeh. However if someone else steals the game to sell it that would be their problem I guess.

Comment

Indirectly means for example, money from advertisements on the page/site with the download link.

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
              X