Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DX11 on a DX10 GPU ?

hey guys, i'm having a problem with the switch renderer feature of UDK
    I don't understand why it doesn't run DX11 for me.
    i can turn on DX11 on cryengine and unity as well and in games also (i have DX10 GPU that runs some of DX11 features), but not in udk.

You can't run Dx11 if your graphics card isn't a Dx11 compatible card.
    If your card is Dx10, the latest DirectX you'll be able to use is Dx10.
    It's as simple as that.

However, because you said you could turn on Dx11 in games I'd say you have a Dx11 card. Could you please post which card you're using?

Comment

it's a NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
      if it can run DX11 then why the switch renderer button is grayed ?

Comment

I'm not sure. I don't have a Dx11 card myself so I never encountered this. Your card is Dx11 compatible and you should be able to use it.

You can try running the editor with the "-D3D11" parameter.

Comment

What OS do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Omar007 View Post
            You can't run Dx11 if your graphics card isn't a Dx11 compatible card.
            If your card is Dx10, the latest DirectX you'll be able to use is Dx10.
            It's as simple as that.
            This is simply incorrect.

All you need for DirectX 11 is a DirectX 10 compatible card. You are simply limited to a DirectX 10 feature set.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_F View Post

All you need for DirectX 11 is a DirectX 10 compatible card. You are simply limited to a DirectX 10 feature set.
              This may be true in general, but UDK does not support a DX 10 feature set. You must have a DX 11 compatible card to use the DX 11 features. Windows Vista or later OS is also required.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_F View Post

I'm ofcourse talking about the Dx11 features. I know very well you can have Dx11 if your card is only Dx10. I myself have Dx11 installed (Windows 8) but only have a Dx10 card.
                My point being, unless your GPU supports Dx11, you can't really use Dx11 even though the software is installed.

If I want to I can set the renderer to DirectX 11 but it'll just cause the editor to crash because my card can't run it.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                  What OS do you have?
                  it's a win7 x64 bits

Comment

the sad thing is i cannot change the card since i have a laptop :'(
                    thanks guys for the help.

Comment

Seems like it should be working unless the card is crippled in some way or reporting back info that is making UDK think it isn't DX 11 capable. Are your drivers up to date?

Comment

I would make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to reinstall UDK.

Comment

Working...
                        X