Applying textures help in UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying textures help in UDK

I know that I can just say that option where it says " Do not combine mesh's" and then I can apply all the materials that were imported one by one, but the problem is I have a very complicated mesh with lots of parts and things. How can I leave all the meshes combined and then place the textures onto the mesh at once.
    Thanks,

It depends on what file you are importing, like the type of file and what data was saved to it. If it is an FBX file with textures already working, you can import the FBX and check off the box that says "Include Textures" or "Import Textures" and the same for materials. But it depends on the file type, where you got it from, and if textures were already working.

For example, I get all my assets from 3ds Max where they are already textured. When I export them, I include "Media" which is another word for textures or materials. And then when I import into UDK, it imports my mesh, all the textures, and materials, all already applied.

Comment

Originally posted by BallisticGE0RGE View Post
      It depends on what file you are importing, like the type of file and what data was saved to it. If it is an FBX file with textures already working, you can import the FBX and check off the box that says "Include Textures" or "Import Textures" and the same for materials. But it depends on the file type, where you got it from, and if textures were already working.

For example, I get all my assets from 3ds Max where they are already textured. When I export them, I include "Media" which is another word for textures or materials. And then when I import into UDK, it imports my mesh, all the textures, and materials, all already applied.
      It dowsnt work for me all the materials (100s of them) go to the Contenet Broweser

Comment

Your combined mesh needs to have different material ID's for every material that goes to whichever part, and i really dont think having a single object with 100 material ID's is a sane thing to do.

Comment

You might want to consider how to reduce the number of materials, the more you use the lower the performance. Also, make sure you aren't using too many materials on a single object, sometimes you need to but that lowers performance as well.

Using FBX will create all the materials you need and apply them where they are supposed to go, even if it's one object using multiple materials it'll apply them correctly.

Comment

If I understand your problem, I think the best bet is to UV map your mesh in whatever modeling software that you use. You can then just import the UV into UDK and apply it onto the mesh. That way, the mesh only contains one single material, which is a huge time saver and performance increaser.

Comment

Working...
            X