Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's something we can all benefit from -- Specific methods of learning the UDK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's something we can all benefit from -- Specific methods of learning the UDK.

Hello, all.

I understand the jist of the UDK. And I know that there are plenty of you out there who know it much better than I do. Much better.

There are also development cycles that are posted on the UDN. But these are oriented toward team use, not individual or hobbyist use.

There are also methods of learning the UDK that are more or less useful than others. My question is, "What are the best methods of learning the UDK?"

(As time progresses, I'll edit this post to put up the methods that I've seen in use. As of right now, however, I'm pressed for time. It's 12:30, and I need to get some sleep.)

So, tell me -- How did you learn to use the UDK in the time you've worked wit

I just downloaded UDK and used all the (free) resources I could. Video tutorials, written tutorials, forums, the UDN, and anything else I had access to. And a lot of trial and error. I did give up on it when I first started because I had no programming experience (a must have to make an actual game with UDK) but I got over it. If you are asking specifically about learning UDK only, not all of the time it takes to learn modeling, texturing, programming, etc, you can learn fast. However, everything else takes quite a while.

Comment

Best method?,,, think, make idea about your game, start to build, use everything u have, write ur ides on paper, combine, watch tutorials, play with possibilities,watch tutorials, make bookmarks of useful pages of UDK,programing,modeling, build, solve problems,try again,and again, and thats it, i believe.

Comment

hmmmm..
        download it, mess with it, watch tutorials, mess some more.

that and i have been making games since 1987 might help

Comment

Learning by doing. I started mapping for UT2k4 because I wanted to put my ideas into the game so that I could share them with the regular players on my favorite server.
          In order to do that, I had to learn how to use the Unreal Editor and all it's perks. After about a year, I had it nailed down in pretty much every aspect that there was. This was before the well-documented UDK release - I had to read through a lot of community-created resources and learn to deal with inevitable bugs in the editor.

At some point I wanted to do more than what was possible with the tools given by the editor, so I got into coding. Learned from some of the best in the community and already knew some Java at that time, which was certainly helpful. After another year I felt like I knew my way around enough in the UnrealScript language and UT2k4's framework.

When UDK came out, I joined a team to bring my UE2 scripting knowledge to the next level of UE3. I am still learning new stuff with every problem that gets in my way during development, but it's really motivating to have a common goal in front of you when you work with a team. You make a piece of code and then an artist comes and requests more functionality, which you can then translate into code again. Step by step you are forced to dive into every aspect of coding a game in Unreal Engine.

Learning by doing is definitely the way to go, at least for me. I honestly have more respect for self-taught guys who have been working their own way into the matter over years of practice than some guy who just graduated from some expensive college that supposedly taught him a few things about programming.

Comment

I learn the UDK by using it. Pretty simple.

Comment

My way of learning comes through a lot of exploration and doing things "the wrong way". Try, and don't be afraid. What I see too much of is people asking questions about simple things they could just as easily TRY instead of waiting days for an answer on, it's like they are afraid to break something, or not succeed.

"If I check this box will it help?" Try.
              "If I add this to the code will it work?" Maybe it will, maybe it won't. At worst, it won't compile. Just try it.
              "What if I.." SHUT UP AND TRY IT FFS.

You won't get anywhere learning if you don't attempt to explore things on your own a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X