No announcement yet.

PhysX Fracture Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the maps! I did run across an issue with the map below. On the left is the map in photoshop on the right is the result in PhysX.

I'm pretty confident I know what the issue is though. PhysX can't distinguish any proper lines to create from the image. Look below and you'll see what I mean.

This image will create a straight line

And this image will create a line with a triangular notch in the center

The reason for this is because PhysX narrows the white in any image to a line to properly cut it. Regardless of the actual width of the line it always narrows so its a perfect slice. In the case of the image provided PhysX can't find a proper line to form so it just stacks the mesh on itself trying to fill the gaps. I know this because I did a lot of trial and error before I got it right myself. Having gray in the image can also have this effect and sometimes a person's eyes just can't see it. I'm not doing this to call you out or anything, I just want to spread the knowledge and hopefully anybody seeing this that is having the same issue gets it resolved as a result.

Comment

it does mention it on the nvidia video's that its best to use a small brush and to have solid lines

btw i've started my tutorials so just check my channel for updates

Comment

Yeah the videos do say that but its pretty interesting how the program compensates when something's not quite right. Oh, and I just took a look at your new videos, good stuff! I'm sure it'll help a lot of people out new to physx. There's not s whole lot of information available oddly enough on the subject.

Comment

Working...
        X