Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annoying lines following camera from dynamic lights, several people need this fixed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the shadow mapping in UDK is ridiculously awful. I would not expect this to change any time soon if ever. UDK is built on UE3 which is at least 6 years old at this point and probably designed mostly for running on the Xbox 360 (in all its limited capacity) at 60Hz. Making shadows look amazing on the PC is probably not something they would consider a priority. They've got UE4 for that now, and no, I would not expect a UE4 based UDK any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_F View Post
      Yes, the shadow mapping in UDK is ridiculously awful. I would not expect this to change any time soon if ever. UDK is built on UE3 which is at least 6 years old at this point and probably designed mostly for running on the Xbox 360 (in all its limited capacity) at 60Hz. Making shadows look amazing on the PC is probably not something they would consider a priority. They've got UE4 for that now, and no, I would not expect a UE4 based UDK any time soon.
      hmm I dunno Epic Games promised to support the UE3 UDK for some years to come. So I would've thought the shadow acne&the lines following the player as seen in the OP are a high priority. However from what I read in the official posts on the subject it seems like thesee issues can't be fixed?
      Either way having them in a game that is supposed to be released commercially makes the developer look bad... even if they can't do anything about it.
      So I recorded a video which shows the lines on the row of trees on the right (watch in HD they are hard to see) and afterwards the shadow acne on the "rocks":
      The second half of the vid shows my current solution. It just sets the shadow quality very low to make both issues less visible. However those whashed out shadows kinda make me look like an idiot... -.,-

Comment

If you're making a game that relies on dynamic lighting and you're using the UDK/UE3, you've probably made a poor choice in engine tech. :P
        Different engines excel at different things, there's ALWAYS tradeoffs in real-time rendering.

Comment

Working...
        X