Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annoying lines following camera from dynamic lights, several people need this fixed..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Annoying lines following camera from dynamic lights, several people need this fixed..

    I have 3 to 4 of these lines following the camera around, in game and even in the editor. This happens with the higher cascaded shadow map settings (which are the only settings that give the most crisp shadow without looking like ****)

    Using a dominant directional moveable and a sky light
    Settings for the dominant CSM are:

    Whole scene dynamic shadows: 20000.000000
    Num Whole Scene Dynamic Shadows: 10
    Cascade Distribution Exponent: 4.000000

    I need these settings but have no idea why these lines are happening. Is this fixable without changing the cascaded shadow map resolution? I hear gears of war used this lighting method a lot, but some how fixed the issue.

    I've talked to a few people who are having this problem and we really wish someone could help us fix it.



    Pic: http://oi50.tinypic.com/6e216o.jpg

    #2
    Can anyone maybe an admin please tell me if this will ever be fixed

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Chimerainc View Post
      Can anyone maybe an admin please tell me if this will ever be fixed
      I really need an answer to that question as well. The cascaded shadow maps are the only way I am aware of to get dynamic shadows with decent performance. However those white lines following the player arround make the system unusable. Which currently leaves me with nothing apart from low quality 8000 distance,3 Num,3 Exponent CSM settings... even then the lines exist but they are very tiny. So the players might not notice them but they'll certainly notice the low detail shadows.

      Comment


        #4
        Heh, i ran into that artifact even in Borderlands 2 and Hawken. Who knows if they ignored it or if its just something unfixable with UE3. :/

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Jacky View Post
          Heh, i ran into that artifact even in Borderlands 2 and Hawken. Who knows if they ignored it or if its just something unfixable with UE3. :/
          Hmm that's interesting I have literally been looking for this issue in Borderlands 2 and couldn't find it once!!!! When you drive fast in a vehicle the shadow quality changes are extremely obvious so I was guessing they use CSM. However even in that situation their dynamic shadows didn't look half bad so I was quite impressed. What kind of settings did you use and did you modify anything in the .ini setting file that might've caused the lines to appear?
          I have set everything to max settings in the launcher and left it at that. So maybe there is something that hides these lines like Anisotropic Filtering or whatever.

          Comment


            #6
            You may be right about the settings. I havent touched the ini files but i have antisotropic filtering off while the rest of the settings are at high. It may even be a driver issue, so i dont know.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jacky View Post
              You may be right about the settings. I havent touched the ini files but i have antisotropic filtering off while the rest of the settings are at high. It may even be a driver issue, so i dont know.
              hmm nah I still didn't get that issue after turning the filtering off. However there could be other settings that are different I guess. Either way this thread is more about how to solve this issue in UDK. ^^ I'll download Hawken tomorrow though and see if I get it there.

              Comment


                #8
                Just to be clear though, it doesnt happen all the time in those games, only sometimes when you run into the right angle on the land for it to happen. So my suggestion is, don't waste your time looking for it to happen and just enjoy the games.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jacky View Post
                  Just to be clear though, it doesnt happen all the time in those games, only sometimes when you run into the right angle on the land for it to happen. So my suggestion is, don't waste your time looking for it to happen and just enjoy the games.
                  I enjoyed Borderlands 2 and played through it in 42 Hours. I didn't see that issue a single time. However in UDK the issue is so obvious that you really can't miss it while running arround in-game for 2 mins (as the screenshot in OP shows). So is/will there be a way to make this issue barely noticeable in UDK based games?!?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have that too, although my bigger problem is the artifacting when the sun is parallel to a surface. It's kind of impossible to avoid and looks worse than the lines. It's a shame since the dynamic lighting would be great without these 2 problems. I haven't found an answer to either.

                    [Screenshot]http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10140&d=1356068228[/Screenshot]

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	LightingArtifacts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	3249695

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Kyben View Post
                      I have that too, although my bigger problem is the artifacting when the sun is parallel to a surface. It's kind of impossible to avoid and looks worse than the lines. It's a shame since the dynamic lighting would be great without these 2 problems. I haven't found an answer to either.

                      [Screenshot]http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10140&d=1356068228[/Screenshot]

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]10140[/ATTACH]
                      The shadow acne are a well known issue that is easily solved by deactivating the pre-computed lighting on your actors. Personaly I just do that on the terrain as the shadow acne are the most prominent on it. However I am not aware of a way to make the white lines go away... so let's focus on that please. ^^

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I've searched across distant threads, far and wide, and have never heard of such a solution. After trying it, I see no difference. I set all static mesh actors Use Precomputed Shadows and Cast Static Shadow to false. I also have Force No Precomputed Lighting to true in the WorldInfo. I tried rebuilding and saving as well. Landscape also doesn't have such an option? I'm using the March 2012 build of UDK if that makes a difference.

                        I appreciate the help, even though you probably hate me now.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          We dont hate you, we hate udk, for being horrible when it comes to dynamic lighting with the 2 problems presented.
                          Whats the deal epic? No reason improving such features since UE4 is rolling out I guess?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Kyben View Post
                            Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I've searched across distant threads, far and wide, and have never heard of such a solution. After trying it, I see no difference. I set all static mesh actors Use Precomputed Shadows and Cast Static Shadow to false. I also have Force No Precomputed Lighting to true in the WorldInfo. I tried rebuilding and saving as well. Landscape also doesn't have such an option? I'm using the March 2012 build of UDK if that makes a difference.
                            I appreciate the help, even though you probably hate me now.
                            That's the catch landscape doesn't have this option which means you can't use it if you don't want shadow acne on your terrain. Also note that you have to disable the option for the object which RECEIVES the shadow so in this case probably the landscape. ^^ Just make a real quick static mesh terrain with precomputed shadows OFF and see if that solves your issue. The only other way to remove shadow acne is to change the shadowdepthbias in the systemsettings.ini files. However that will introduce lots of new issues so I left it at default.
                            Anyway nothing of this solves the white shadow lines issue, so even with that workarround in place you'd still be stuck with that. ^^

                            Originally posted by Chimerainc View Post
                            We dont hate you, we hate udk, for being horrible when it comes to dynamic lighting with the 2 problems presented.
                            Whats the deal epic? No reason improving such features since UE4 is rolling out I guess?
                            I love UDK but yeah it's dynamic lighting solution seems very outdated. ;( Having said that both of these issues have been arround for a long time now so I doubt there is a connection to UE4. There is a comment from Epic Games staff on how to solve the shadow acne so that is fine. However there isn't even a hint at how the white lines could be removed or concealed so that's a bit disappointing.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Fix your engine Epic is this a joke?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X