This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine 4 - Questions

I recently stumbled across some videos of the Unreal Engine 4 at E3. The engine looks amazing and the development kit appears to be very user friendly. I am an artist/designer working on my first game, I am ok with modeling though the programming side of things is difficult and very new to me, the new UDK would help me out a lot. So I would like some advice in terms of my project plans, here are a couple of questions. I appreciate the new UDK i still under wraps so not much details are floating around.

1. Will the new UDK be compatible with current game files/projects? (i.e. Build a game level in the current UDK and open it up in the new UDK)
    2. How likely is a 2013 release?
    3. Will the licensing model be the same as the current UDK?

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts on this, at the moment I have stopped building game levels in the UDK and I am just modeling loads of models that I could put into the new UDK when it is released. I though it is a good idea asking these questions otherwise I could spend years waiting only to find out I cannot afford to use the new UDK.

1. 99% sure that it won't.
    2. Very unlikely. UE4 won't be out before Epic released their first own game with it (Fortnite), and that is as far as I know unlikely to be released in 2013. And ever after it's release will it still take quite a while for UE4 to be released as UDK because they will only try to get the game stable until that point, not the tools.
    3. How could we know that already? It's likely, but nobody can't tell for sure until it's out.

You are not doing yourself any favour by waiting for a specific feature set that is not even sure to be released in the near future, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by owenprescott View Post
      I recently stumbled across some videos of the Unreal Engine 4 at E3. The engine looks amazing and the development kit appears to be very user friendly. I am an artist/designer working on my first game, I am ok with modeling though the programming side of things is difficult and very new to me, the new UDK would help me out a lot. So I would like some advice in terms of my project plans, here are a couple of questions. I appreciate the new UDK i still under wraps so not much details are floating around.

1. Will the new UDK be compatible with current game files/projects? (i.e. Build a game level in the current UDK and open it up in the new UDK)
      2. How likely is a 2013 release?
      3. Will the licensing model be the same as the current UDK?

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts on this, at the moment I have stopped building game levels in the UDK and I am just modeling loads of models that I could put into the new UDK when it is released. I though it is a good idea asking these questions otherwise I could spend years waiting only to find out I cannot afford to use the new UDK.
      Five years, give or take eight years

Comment

Originally posted by owenprescott View Post
        Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts on this, at the moment I have stopped building game levels in the UDK and I am just modeling loads of models that I could put into the new UDK when it is released.
        Were you on the Duke Nukem Forever dev team?

Comment

Wow thanks for the replies, lucky I asked :P. I figured if they were showing it at E3 it would be around soon. I guess Unreal Engine 3 it is for now then lol.

Comment

They are already licensing UE4...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/...nreal-engine-4

Comment

Originally posted by L30 View Post
              Where as that is true, it does not mean that UDK4 is going to come out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by L30 View Post
                What has that got to do with UDK ? Did you read the question ?

Comment

Top post asked about licensing, first reply said nobody could know that because it isn't out - I was replying by showing that it is already being licensed.

Comment

To be honest, I am really disappointed about how people keep answering with pessimistic views. You simply can't take what has happened with UE3 to apply on UE4.

My own prediction is that UE4 UDK will come out soon, most probably by the end of next year. Why? There are a few reasons:
                    1. Epic has set up a whole new studio for the sole purpose of developing the engine.
                    2. Licensing engine make more money than producing games. No idiot would ignore that.
                    4. More exposure to the public. The more people know and use UE4, the better it is for Epic.
                    3. A guy from Epic actually said that they regretted not releasing UDK earlier, which is an outright obvious hint that they will try to release the new version ASAP. Recently I read a news where another guy from Epic said the engine will be ready as soon as the new generation of consoles arrive. And new Xbox is coming holiday season 2013 (or at least there are hints).
                    4. Time has changed. When UE3 was made, it was not meant to be released as a free version. Back then we didn't even have a concrete idea of "indie". It took time to create such licensing scheme. But now, licensing engines is one of the biggest businesses in game industry.
                    5. The fact that there are studios who have been able to license UE4, and Epic is giving out full license for Make Something Unreal next year means that the engine itself is in a pretty good state. Epic can't license some **** code that won't work, right?
                    6. After working with UDK for more than 3 years, Epic should have a lot of experience doing that by now.

Of course, those are all speculations, but they make much more sense to me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by quanganht View Post
                      2. Licensing engine make more money than producing games. No idiot would ignore that.
                      So Epic Games makes more money from Licensing the engine than games?????????????????????????????????????

What drugs have you been taking, Gears Of War has made a billion dollars...........

Don't post nonsense that you haven't researched

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
                        So Epic Games makes more money from Licensing the engine than games?????????????????????????????????????

What drugs have you been taking, Gears Of War has made a billion dollars...........

Don't post nonsense that you haven't researched
                        Maybe? No one knows the exact figures, but you can think of it this way: Gears of War is just one series of games, whereas throughout the history, how many games has bought license from Epic's engines? Hell of a lot. I will take just one game for example: Batman Arkham City. How much do you think the game makes, and subsequently how much revenue it has to share with Epic? Multiply it by thousands of games out there using Unreal engine, regardless of version. Keep in mind that Epic stared making money with the engines since before 2000. And yes, some people are still making games with Unreal 2, which means Epic is still milking money out of it. I don't know why though.

Comment

Originally posted by quanganht View Post
                          Maybe? No one knows the exact figures, but you can think of it this way: Gears of War is just one series of games, whereas throughout the history, how many games has bought license from Epic's engines? Hell of a lot. I will take just one game for example: Batman Arkham City. How much do you think the game makes, and subsequently how much revenue it has to share with Epic? Multiply it by thousands of games out there using Unreal engine, regardless of version. Keep in mind that Epic stared making money with the engines since before 2000. And yes, some people are still making games with Unreal 2, which means Epic is still milking money out of it. I don't know why though.
                          Seeing as they, (Epic Games) have only been around since 1991 and the license fee is around $2000 for full UE3 license...............And we know they have made a billion dollars on one game, (Gears Of War) because they announced it all over the internet! They would have to sell millions of licenses just to compete with Gears Of War..

Your facts and thinking are that of a heroin addict and are complete and utter bo**cks....................

Comment

Seeing as they, (Epic Games) have only been around since 1991 and the license fee is around $2000 for full UE3 license...............And we know they have made a billion dollars on one game, (Gears Of War) because they announced it all over the internet! They would have to sell millions of licenses just to compete with Gears Of War..

Your facts and thinking are that of a heroin addict and are complete and utter bo**cks....................
                            Oh.. 2000$ for full UE3??

But in anyway I didn't force you to think the same way as I am. So take it or leave it. Using aggressive words like that won't help at all. There are just too many people being pessimistic these days.

Edit: just thinking that I should let you know one fact that is true: my previous studio managed to negotiate UE3 license price down to 100000 USD only, with 10% revenue share. I don't know where you got that 2000$ from. Considering that I heard a school paid 700000 for license plus some for each seat just to teach.

Comment

I... I don't think.............. I don't think using sarcasm on stupidity works.

Comment

Working...
                              X