Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugly lighting on speedtree leaves with dominant directional & skylight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly lighting on speedtree leaves with dominant directional & skylight?

So I have been trying to get the best result from realtime lighting without baking, using a dominant directional moveable and a skylight. Everything looks great, the shadows on the terrain, the plants, but one thing is horribly ugly-
    The speed tree leaves.

Is there a way I can help this so half of the leaves don't look really ugly and black? Without baking?
    I would be happy with everything else if I can just some how keep the tri foil stock speedtree leafs casting shadows onto static meshes and the ground, but not onto eachother (but still somewhat lighted) At the moment I'm using the stock tree from the foliage map:
    SM_GEN_Foliage01_LargeTree01_Opt

Screenshot: http://s7.postimage.org/cifbhgq6h/treeshadoww.jpg

What I have done to solve my leaf lighting problems is using Tri-Foil meshes in Speedtree. Replacing the camera facing billboards with these improves lighting a lot. You have to select them from the meshes folder in the Speedtree directory. I hope that'll solve your issues. The only trouble is that you can't replace the high distance LOD billboards for the whole tree that way. In general billboards are very bad for UDKs lighting system.

Comment

I already answered this in your other thread, if you're not going to check your own thread for responses, then I'm not going to bother helping you.

Originally posted by nabiul View Post
      Connecting what you put into the opacity mask to your transmission mask seemed to work for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10024[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks nabiul, but if you were to check the speedtree I'm talking about (the stock speedtree used in the foliage map: SM_GEN_Foliage01_LargeTree01_Opt)
        your solution had no effect. It's a completely different material and I wish it was that easy.

Comment

That's not a speed tree, it's a static mesh using custom lighting. There is no easy way to change it other than rebuilding the entire shader network.

Comment

Working...
          X