Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is UDK a good choice?

Hello UDK General,
    I am in the process of forming a small team(4-5) for an indie project and am trying to decide which engine would be best.

We will be developing a fast paced melee oriented 3D multiplayer game using a third person camera. Mainly classic Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag type stuff but may need the ability to support larger seamless maps at some point.

We don't plan on ground breaking graphics or physics; we want to end up with something that will run well on a mid range PC while still being a lot of fun.

So, basically, we are trying to decide whether to use UDK this project.
    Any input on how well UDK would work for a project like this would be great.
    Any related strengths/weaknesses.

Thank you.
    Chuck.

Engine comparisons are not allowed.

Comment

It would save a huge amount of time getting input from experienced developers on a matter like this.
      Like listing some pros and cons related to the aforementioned project.

I will rephrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Warchuck View Post
        That's a silly rule.
        It would save a huge amount of time getting input from experienced developers on a matter like this.

I am sure, you're trying to help but all a post like yours does is dissuade new users from using this forum or starting a project with UDK.
        Of the listed engines, this is the first I have began looking into in depth, solely due to it's reputation.

But I will rephrase.
        It's Epic forums, you can't just discuss other engines here, i can't see the point of doing so anyway, besides there are other forums not only this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Warchuck
          So, far you have both helped, Thank you.
          We now know this development community sucks for even basic assistance.

Now to research a few more things. lol
          The community here is very helpful but the forum rules don't allow engine comparisons.
          But since you asked, the best engines out there for a small indie developer (1-5) are UDK and Unity.
          Personally I have chosen the Udk because I love the editor and the powerful tools we get to use. I also like the royalties licensing. But this are things you can research on your own.

Comment

Well i used to be on an engine " X " , trying to accomplish what im accomplishing now , and with 1 day , i got a melee fighting system thanks to UDK .
            And with engine X i was 1 or 2 months trying it , there was no way to detect collisions or anything....

So we switched Thanks to the other programmer to our team that recommended it, and we switched and all cool.

So , i strongly recommend this engine , as somone who is developing something now for 3 or 4 months , and is getting progress pretty much everyday.
            And there's a lot of people looking for teams and ideas in this forum , and there's lot of support when it comes to programming animating , just anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Warchuck
              We now know this development community sucks for even basic assistance.
              two straight answers within the hour and it sucks? lol kudos to this horrible community

Comment

TheAgent, reinrag: chill out guys.
                Op asked whether UDK is a good choice for his project. It's an annoying question asked many times, right, but there was nothing about engine comparisons (at least by the time I got here).

Warchuck
                UDK is definitely a good engine for such game, since it specializes in FPS and TPS games. It's also no stranger to melee combat (from Rune long time ago to modern game Forge - check it out btw). Chivalry uses Unreal Engine too, I think.
                A lot of questions on basics of melee combat and such were often asked so starting information would be easily available if you're willing to search older threads and Google. So yeah, UDK is a very strong and obvious choice for it.

Comment

UDK would be perfect for such a project.

but may need the ability to support larger seamless maps at some point
                  This may be slightly harder, it depends on what you need precisely, you're going to have to take a look at the documentation for streaming maps and the consequences of doing so if the sizes that the maps can be now isn't good enough for your project. Investigate it yourself, that's my advice, it depends entirely on your project, in most cases it will be more then fine.

Comment

Troll in the radar that's all

Comment

Thank you for the answers so far.
                      VERY helpful.

Comment

Dude what are you talking about? There's a lot of things you need to be concerned with when picking a game engine and it's definitely a valid question but the answer is going to be found on your own needs. Ok first thing I can come up with is filesize of the executable that is created. UDK creates a fairly large executable size because by default it has a lot of packages for things like trees and rocks and materials that you need to remove, but still you can put in the time and remove them and the size of the exe will reduce. Next thing is that UDK is a standalone type engine so you're going to miss out if you're planning to make money through some facebook integration it's just not going to happen. Next thing is realtime shadows which are REAAAAAAALY good in udk in comparison to many other engines out there. Then there's speed of the game, which is phenomenal but try it out don't take my word for it. Also do a wikipedia search on all the great games made with UDK. The best answer to your question is to compare games that have already been created with UDK to the game you want to create and to ask yourself do you think you can make what other people have made with the same tools they used?

Comment

Originally posted by Warchuck View Post

I will rephrase.
                          The main reason it's not allowed is because those kind of discussions have a strong tendency to turn into a flame war between the fanboys of X and Y.

That type of information can be found on more "neutral" websites. Also, if people become active members of X's community, it's most likely because they have more ties (and as such more knowledge) to that engine than to Y or Z, and wouldn't be able to give you a well documented answer anyway.

Comment

I recently started working with UDK and can say is a huge engine full of possibilities. There are simpler and easier ones, but usually more limitated. If I were you I would chose UDK, I'm very happy with it and with the users from this forum who very kindly try to help people with problems with UDK (by now they have solved all my problems with the engine, fastly and giving answers that help newbies to learn a lot).

Comment

Working...
                            X