BSP and Static Meshes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP and Static Meshes question

Hello guys, im making my final graduation project in UDK, i decided to make a short simple game, focusing in the stage and the cinematics.
    The thing is, im designing the levels, which are all in a fantasy victorian city at night (only exteriors) so after i created the shape of the streets flattening the landscape i started to create BSPs of diferent sizes for the position of the houses.

There are lots of houses, i wanted to use the cubical form of the bps and add static meshes like joists, roofs, etc, but i was making some research and it seems that making all the level with BSPs will highly reduce the performance
    Here's a screenshot, many houses are left to put in the stage, is a 255x255 landscape

My question is: should i continue adding the details and roofs on the bsps? or maybe should i just model all the houses directly in max and not to use any BSP? I also heard that some people creates the levels entirely in max? what can you tell me about this technique?is it worthy? whats the workflow?

If you need more info> it will be a 3rd person game, with melee combat (something like kingdom hearts, or zelda, but with no inventory, or magic, or complicated stuff, just a wooden sword and a shield) with a cartoonish fairytale look, so no 1st, no firearms, and non realistic models (only painted textures, speculars, normals and thats it)

BSP is great for blocking out ideas, but it's not recommended to use it in the final game. What you can do is export the BSPs and bring them into your modeling software to help guide you. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks, man. I think i have also to resize the houses, they are too big. I will keep up the work

Comment

BSPs are great for getting a sense of scale for your environment...which is why there is a feature to export the BSP to fbx as a modeling reference. Glad I could help

Comment

Working...
        X