X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert Kismet to UnrealScript

Hi guys,

I'm asking to myself a question...
    Imagine, I programmed something with the Kismet, like a trigger that opens a door, now, I would like to know if it's possible to convert what I done in Kismet, to a UnrealScript language ?

Cheers.

Kismet nodes are unrealscript. Just open their classes and try to do the same in a class of your own.

But no, you cannot just copy a kismet sequence and magically create an unrealscript class from it if that is what you are looking for.

Comment

Ah ok...
      I see.

Comment

You're always so illustrative in your questions, points for style.

Comment

You wouldn't really want to convert something like a trigger to open a door to script anyway. THAT is exactly what Kismet is for: level-specific events that rely on stuff that is physically in the map and where the location of the affected actors may vary from map to map.

Though if your game features an extraordinary amount of doors, you *could* condense the stuff in script so that you only need the Actors in the world and no additional Kismet for every occurrence. I.e. make a custom Trigger-subclass which has a reference to one of those door actors that you could set directly in the Actor in the editor, so whenever that Trigger is activated, it will automatically tell the associated door about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
            You're always so illustrative in your questions, points for style.
            Merci ! (thanks )

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
            You wouldn't really want to convert something like a trigger to open a door to script anyway. THAT is exactly what Kismet is for: level-specific events that rely on stuff that is physically in the map and where the location of the affected actors may vary from map to map.

Though if your game features an extraordinary amount of doors, you *could* condense the stuff in script so that you only need the Actors in the world and no additional Kismet for every occurrence. I.e. make a custom Trigger-subclass which has a reference to one of those door actors that you could set directly in the Actor in the editor, so whenever that Trigger is activated, it will automatically tell the associated door about it.
            The thing is that when I was posting this message, I directly trought about compilers such as Bat to Exe, etc.
            But when you said "Kismet is for: level-specific events", then I understood.
            Thanks for the reply ; - )

Comment

If you want UnrealScript for triggers and stuff like doors or whatever that use the action key (default E), then check this thread:
              http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-Usable-Actors
              It is a tutorial for putting the "use" trigger functionality straight into your code. This is useful for objects you want to interact with that are instanced at run-time, so you can't use kismet on them.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
                But actually the door was here as example

Comment

Working...
                X