Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh My Speculars! — Problems, realtime lighing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh My Speculars! — Problems, realtime lighing?

Speculars.
    Can i make them work how they should work with static?
    I AM heavy BSM mesh. AND THIS is my screenshot.
    Help me please! My little kittens hates those speculars.
    I know about dominant lights but i always need some static lighing too.

Only dominant lights work properly with baked specular lighting, and even then it is still an approximation.

Comment

So, theres Absolutely No Way today to have Lightmass enabled? Oh god, its really really crazy.

Comment

Did you try using a Dominant Pointlight/Directional Light or is it not suitable for your scene?

Comment

I did. But they are not enough.
          The point was to make a night city, so the dominant light should be the streetlights (for shadowcasting etc.) and Directional light for ambient moon light (i dont wanna dark places of the scene to be 100% black, it would look unreal dont you think?

Comment

Wait, what? Dominant lights use static lighting/global illumination the way they should (unless something really dramatic has changed since I'm not using the July version yet). The trick is that specular lighting cannot be fully precomputed (at least, not without storing an unreasonable amount of data) because it responds to viewing angle. As such, with dominant lights Unreal renders specular highlights "dynamically" but with information from the static lightmaps as well which is exactly what most people expect/want, at least in most cases. Is it possible that your results are unsatisfactory because your ground appears to be a single giant polygon? Realtime lighting that works good in common cases sometimes breaks down with huge polygons, even when it's computed per-pixel.

Comment

Working...
            X