The Next Generation of Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Next Generation of Gaming

I was thinking about this idea earlier today while remember playing Soldier of Fortune a few years back. I approached an enemy guard and knifed him.

In the real game someones pulse might be elevated thus causing them to breathe heavily thus alerting the guard to their presence.

Is it possible to include software into the game that would, through the speakers or microphone of the players pc, pick up the sounds around the player such as breathing, taking a sip of a beverage ect. that the game could translate to alert the game AI to react more accordingly?

Creating such software would make the game more interesting as the player would then be able to use their voice to open doors, various levels of breathe pressure levels to perform a task as well as other functions that would make the game more realistic and playable.

Sure, but most people aren't in the type of environment that would make that work. Like for instance the fans on my computer are louder than my breathing. Plus I think in a lot of cases the sounds wouldn't be the same as if you were in a real situation, like if I'm sneaking up on someone in a game then I wouldn't be breathing heavily.

Comment

Not to mention, what happens when your mother/brother/significant other drops something in the other room?

Comment

I think theres an issue with realism vs escapism in my eyes, even now we are seeing it with all these fancy input devices. As much as I enjoy mucking around on the wiimote, touch devices but mostly in arcades with racing games there is alot in those scenarios which (atleast for me) break immersion.

Comment

Get your immersion here if you can afford it.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

Comment

Well the cool thing about the audio system is that if someone in another room drops something or someone says something that is picked up by the mic or pc speakers would cause the characters to perform a certain function such as calling over the radio that noises were heard which could result in more units being sent into area until the area is secure or that the guards or related characters might become more aggressive in their patrols until they feel the area is safe at which time their patrols would return to normal.

The more times that the out of the ordinary noises are picked up would elevate the NPC Characters and their reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by AB-1 View Post
              Well the cool thing about the audio system is that if someone in another room drops something or someone says something that is picked up by the mic or pc speakers would cause the characters to perform a certain function such as calling over the radio that noises were heard which could result in more units being sent into area until the area is secure
              That, and very possibly ruining relationships with whoever dropped something

Comment

thats a cool idea and would make a great art installation but as a game i dont think it would work unless you live on your own.

Comment

Headline: "Gamer expires holding breath in covert operation. Should games be banned?"

Comment

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had that.

Comment

Well I don't know about you guys but I play games so that I don't have to really run 2kms to capture a point whilst carrying 40kgs of equipment whilst being rained fire on by attack heli's and enemy infantry coming out the back of an IFV

Comment

I dunno, some gamers might need to breathe heavily with all those strenuous mouse movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                          I dunno, some gamers might need to breathe heavily with all those strenuous mouse movements.
                          It depends on what they're doing on the computer /wink

Comment

Actually such an audio system would create a more real world gaming experience.

Only the skilled would need apply....leave the quiet gamers behind.

Comment

Games are made to take people away form reality, why put them back into reality, or for some of us, just to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X