Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Is Tencent Holdings somehow going to screw us over?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tencent Holdings somehow going to screw us over?

I know this was a few months back, but I heard that some company from China called Tencent Holdings acquired a minority stake in Epic. The big stupid question is that is this company going to somehow manipulate Epic to get Unreal Engine exclusive to them?

It's just investing, nothing to worry about.

Comment

Hows that work, isnt Epic a privately owned company?

Comment

You can invest in any type of company as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane AJ View Post
          I know this was a few months back, but I heard that some company from China called Tencent Holdings acquired a minority stake in Epic. The big stupid question is that is this company going to somehow manipulate Epic to get Unreal Engine exclusive to them?

Why would they get Unreal Engine exclusively to them? As a minority stake holder in a private company I doubt they even get a vote. If anything it will push UE even more into web and mobile development that can only be good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
            You can invest in any type of company as far as I'm aware.
            Yeah but how do you get a minority stake if its not listed on any stock market? Theres no value in what you own so how do you work out the worth of what you paid for? If thats the case it doesnt buy em a spot on the board at Epic since ofcoarse its not a public company so you cant buy your way into it by being majority shareholder.

Comment

A privately owned company simply means:
              a business company owned either by non-governmental organizations or by a relatively small number of shareholders or company members which does not offer or trade its company stock (shares) to the general public on the stock market exchanges, but rather the company's stock is offered, owned and traded or exchanged privately.
              You can have shares without them being on the public stock market.

Comment

Yeah I know that, I just dont see why Epic would need anyone to buy in. I really didnt see them being short on funds with the amount of people licensing the engine so it must have been a very sweet deal even for a minority stake.

Comment

That is indeed a good question. They don't even seem to care about money in some cases.
                  (Licensing told me to report income on my project whenever I felt like it. )

Perhaps it was such a large sum that greed could not be kept away?

Comment

Its possible that its a fund setup so that Epic games china staff get options on Epic games US stock. Hence, holdings.

Comment

Might be some kind of joint venture deal, in order to do business in China.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        Its possible that its a fund setup so that Epic games china staff get options on Epic games US stock. Hence, holdings.
                        Na its a very real and massive Chinese Internet company.

Comment

Working...
                        X