Modern Weapon Sounds - Where to find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Weapon Sounds - Where to find?

(First of all, sorry if this question has arised here on the Forum before and it has been answered previously and sorry if this is the wrong section of the Forum to post this question)

As probably most people around here, I don't have the means to gather weapons and their ammo, nor do I have a way to record their sounds. So, is there a place somewhere on the internet where I could find weapon sounds with good quality, to use in my game project? We intend to implement a large range of modern rifles, pistols, machine guns, etc. (and probably some older weapons from WWII, WWI and maybe from US Civil War as well, but these solely as extra, since the project plays in the world of today), so can you people give some suggestions concerning where to find guns samples to use in this project?

I've found some places around the Internet but most of them have only samples of the more famous weapons such as AK-47, M16, G3, but when I'm looking for more recent rifles from Heckler & Koch, Beretta, Steyr-Mannlicher, SIG Sauer and other manufacturing companies, the search results come mostly empty.

Is there anyone willing to help me? I can provide my email if one wishes to share with me any sort of library of gun sounds. I'd be very thankful if someone could help me on this subject.

Best regards!

i know it seems a bit obvious but did you try here
    a lot of samples like this you will find on gun orientated sites, people like to record their guns and upload them to show off, most of the time they are copyright and royalty free (although not always the best quality)
    good hunting

Comment

Well tegleg, trying to find it through Google was my obviously first choice and it was only after spending a few hours without finding anything relevant that I decided to ask you folks some directions. It's that sometimes there are some pretty good sites that unfortunately are too low-profile to appear on the first 10 pages of Google search so I thought maybe some people around here would know about one or two sites or libraries that could be of use of me. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Comment

sorry i couldnt give you an actual link, i lost those a while back.
        i think they were almost all american gun sites, maybe some others.
        wish i could remember some names or search terms i used...

as well of course there is always youtube if you have a downloader and software to extract the audio.

Comment

If you want free stuff you're going to have a difficult time. You can try FreeSound.org

If you want quality and accuracy you need to pay for it. There are libraries such as Boom, SoundSnap and BlastWaveFx to name a few. Or you could hire a professional sound designer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
            If you want free stuff you're going to have a difficult time. You can try FreeSound.org

If you want quality and accuracy you need to pay for it. There are libraries such as Boom, SoundSnap and BlastWaveFx to name a few. Or you could hire a professional sound designer.
            Well, I kind of noticed that the "free way" was going to be tough, but for now unfortunately that's what we can afford. After we present our first demo, if we manage to get the funding from the investors, we will probably start talking about the "quality and accuracy", hehe. Thank you for those site suggestions. Could you please also talk me a bit more about the sound designer option? I'm sorry, I'm not quite into this kind of business yet, just needed you to give me a few lights on how it works and how they work.

Comment

Like any member of a team a sound designer would bring his own experience, sound library and the knowledge of how to source sound effects that are required. You could also out-source it; there are companies who will do all of the sound production and music for you. But again, you need money.

If you're planning for future investment then I would seriously consider shortening your audio requirements. Just establish a core set of placeholders for pistol, rifle, smg, etc. Concentrate on getting to milestones like an alpha play test, or a trailer. Budget for audio and/or a team member dedicated for sound and music, and wait for the money.

Comment

Ok thank you very much for the explanation and for the advice Spoof.

Comment

Working...
                X