No announcement yet.

Performance drop with recent UDK releases and the End Consumer price tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gaz661, are you having problems with the september version all of a sudden? Im certainly not saying UDK doesnt have a problem but this is how fault finding goes people, you rule everything out until UDK is the only thing left standing being the cause of the problem.

Comment

yes,up untill about five weeks ago udk ran smoothly(constant 40-50 fps on my large maps) and then i noticed a 20 fps drop which has gradually worsened and now after about 4 mins of playing the fps is about 7-8.

Comment

Hmmz well I dunno if this is a driver issue, if you been running the same UDK version all this time then all of a sudden it starts acting differently the only thing I can think of is something in your software configuration changed. Im actually leaning towards something in a windows/.net framework update at this point especially in your case gaz661.

Comment

that is odd gaz661, for me its only with this years builds of udk, in particular the May release.

as a test, just for my own peice of mind i ran Dec 2011 udk on a big map with lots of things going on for 5 minutes.
          fps started out at 96 and hovered around that, occasionally dropping below 90 for split seconds when the drawcalls bumped up.
          i managed to get my graphics card temperature all the way up to 90c
          at no point did the framerate drop below about 85.

so to me at least, udk is deffinately the cause of the problems.

Comment

i origionally thought it must be a virus or perhaps i had pushed my map beyond what udk could handle,but running much older and smaller versions of the map result in the same thing.even the ut3 maps do it now.no other software has been affected,ie skyrim is a constant 60 fps.

one thing i have noticed today is that if i open the resource monitor and start udk i get about 40 memory hard faults/sec.no other software is causing this and i have never seen the hard faults even register 1 before.maybe someone can tell me what this means?

Comment

Thats a good test, in my experience the end of last year builds are rock solid and the ones this year are less stable but have more fixes. Its bound to happen from time to time, unless theres a must have feature in this years updates you need its not worth the update. I havent had any framerate issues with any UDK so Im just wondering what the problem might be as quite a few people have intermittant issues with different releases.

Comment

yeah its too late to go back now, i have about 5gb of assets that would all have to be reimported and remade.
                i stuck with Oct 2011 for a while, then some feature was added i liked the sound of, cant even remember what it was now lol.
                so my only realistic option is to hope that epic picks up on this problem and fixes it, fingers crossed.

(the dec 2011 test was with a completely different game)

Comment

I disabled Superfetch and got an (apparent) performance boost on my Windows 7 system. I still need to figure out how to run some decent benchmarks on this in UDK and Maya/Mental Ray with Superfetch on VS Superfetch off. If you are switching installs, then Superfetch might have the old UDK loaded "in the background" because "that's the one you've used most often".

I don't think game dev people with fairly random use patterns were the people that Microsoft wrote Superfetch for....

Comment

Superfetch is just to do with boot times and loading progs more quickly, shouldnt affect the performance at all.
                    turning it off should in theory make progs load more slowly and nothing else.

when things are getting super obscure and irrelevent like this its time to accept that udk could indeed be running slow in recent builds.

Comment

It´s going to be hard for some people to accept something like that....

Comment

Working...
                      X