Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people really develop games with KISMET?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people really develop games with KISMET?

I highly doubt any AAA games were developed in kismet, and I'm probably not expecting any.
    (If there's actually is a high quality game developed in kismet, please tell me so i can see the
    limit for kismet)

I think the problem with kismet is that it's highly unorganized . I started on a really
    simple game trying to use kismet and unreal script, one of my matinee looks like a gigantic
    spider web. I couldn't imagine games that were hundreds of time bigger developing using
    kismet.

I'm really confused right now, because I've read this thread about the new UDK making Kismet
    a key tool in developing games.

please help me explain a little. and don't be too serious, this is just a fun relaxing discussion.

Well, during the UE4 episode, Mark Rein basically said that kismet is for the artists who don't need the programmers help at that point.

The whole idea is kismet is very useful for prototyping and giving a blueprint to the programmers of what is needed. It is indeed a key tool in developing games.

And yes, during that vid, there was some spider-webbing going on, hahaha, remote events and subsequences ftw!

Comment

Look on video from new UDK (yeah new UE4 editor has it in name). We will work with Kismet 2 every day because you will setup meshes in it. It has great and clear debug. I think that there will be some limitations because kismet has not everything (nodes). In my project I use 50% of default nodes and 50% of my own nodes because there are not equivalents. But i think that it is (theoreticaly) posible recreate 50% of UScript functions in Kismet and use it - but this way is really messy.

I think that C++ will be still key.

Comment

i think he was still refering to Kismet 1?

you could theoretically create a game in kismet, though for some things it is best to use unrealscript. Kismet was meant to edit map-specific actors and events, not to create new games entirely.

Comment

Its primary use is for level-event situations (cutscenes, triggers, enemies etc.) but can also be used for game-wide things eg. a fixed sidescroller camera. But make no mistake that Kismet is primarily for level-event things, for some reason some people think Kismet is basically just a more limited UnrealScript, which it isn't.

Comment

Thanks for your reply's, I've got to ask this, How do you control the ratio of the amount work done on the kismet side and on the Uscript side?

Comment

Originally posted by Shindawg View Post
              Its primary use is for level-event situations (cutscenes, triggers, enemies etc.) but can also be used for game-wide things eg. a fixed sidescroller camera. But make no mistake that Kismet is primarily for level-event things, for some reason some people think Kismet is basically just a more limited UnrealScript, which it isn't.
              The thing is, what could be done on Kismet could also be done on Uscript, so how do I know that what parts of my work should be done in kismet and others on Uscript.

Comment

Unrealscript will perform faster, but Kismet is easier to setup and test with. However, Kismet is much more limited than Unrealscript.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                  Unrealscript will perform faster, but Kismet is easier to setup and test with. However, Kismet is much more limited than Unrealscript.
                  So how do I balance my use of both tools since they're mainly made to achieve the same goals.

Comment

It depends on what you're doing. For cinematics and animation you use Matinee, which can be used for setting up scripted situations. If something would be really complicated in Kismet (other than cinematics) then do it in unrealscript. For instance I had a thing that took like 50 nodes in Kismet to do, but I was able to do better with Unrealscript much more easily.

Comment

Code = basics such as storing and calculating things, as well as dealing with player control moves, abilities, gametypes, weapons, items.

Kismet = interaction in a level, go to next level, show movie, end game, event after certain group of baddies destroyed such as opening a door, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JUGGERNUT View Post
                        Code = basics such as storing and calculating things, as well as dealing with player control moves, abilities, gametypes, weapons, items.

Kismet = interaction in a level, go to next level, show movie, end game, event after certain group of baddies destroyed such as opening a door, etc.
                        I like how you said baddies, lol.

Comment

I've also heard Unreal 4 is taking out Unreal script, and replacing it's place with C++, is that true or not? Is it a very critical change since Unreal Script is alike C++ already?

Comment

Originally posted by loolo78 View Post
                            I've also heard Unreal 4 is taking out Unreal script, and replacing it's place with C++, is that true or not? Is it a very critical change since Unreal Script is alike C++ already?
                            Unreal Script isn't C++. Many differences between the two.

Comment

It looks like from the demonstration video that many Unrealscript features are being placed into Kismet so having to use C++ will only be necessary for very specific things.

Comment

Working...
                              X