Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

license restrictions clarification

We may not:

remove or modify any product identification or trademark, copyright, or proprietary notices, legends, symbols, labels, or this Agreement from the UDK, , except that You have the right to change the splash screen, including the right to remove the UDK logo and product identification from the splash screen, but you do not have the right to remove or alter the Powered by Unreal Technology and Bink Video logo videos following the splash screen
    Just for clarity, can we:

1. Modify the UDK.exe file details with a resource editor (such as changing the "BUILT WITH UDK" file descriptor)
    2. Modify the UDK.exe icon resource
    3. Rename the binaries to, for example, MyGame.exe

The reason I ask is because I've seen commercial games rename the exe and change the icon. I just want to know how far we can go with resource modification in the binary file.

I'm not whining, so don't get the wrong idea. If we are not allowed then I simply won't change anything even though personally I feel like the splash at the beginning tells most people what was used to build the game. The BUILT WITH UDK file description really only shows up when the game crashes (not sure that's the best time to advertise the engine. Hah!)

One other minor question. I've heard things about bink videos having watermarks on them. I haven't seen this watermark. Are they only visible on in-game bink video textures? I have some fullscreen bink videos and I see no watermarks.

Thanks.

They have a different licence, they are full licensee they have full access to native code and they are allowed to do whatever they want with the engine they bought it's theirs so they can change the name or icon, but UDK is free so people who download it should be happy with it, it's a really powerful engine and has the same benefits than a licensee apart from support from epic, native code access, and other stuff but the power of the engine is the same, BUILT WITH UDK shows up not only when the engine crash but also in the Task Manager, it's the exe's file description as you said, for the watermark i am not sure i am can answer this question sorry about that mate,

Comment

Originally posted by reinrag View Post
      They have a different licence, they are full licensee they have full access to native code and they are allowed to do whatever they want with the engine they bought it's theirs so they can change the name or icon, but UDK is free so people who download it should be happy with it, it's a really powerful engine and has the same benefits than a licensee apart from support from epic, native code access, and other stuff but the power of the engine is the same, BUILT WITH UDK shows up not only when the engine crash but also in the Task Manager, it's the exe's file description as you said, for the watermark i am not sure i am can answer this question sorry about that mate,
      My question is about how, as UDK users, can we modify the binary to remove BUILT WITH UDK, the icon, and rename the exe. I don't think you properly understood my question.

Comment

You can change the icon, renaming the exe will cause other problems, modifying the exe is probably more pain than it is worth, and if you dont use bink then there is no water mark.

Comment

Solid Snake:
          You can change the icon, renaming the exe will cause other problems, modifying the exe is probably more pain than it is worth, and if you dont use bink then there is no water mark
          I just renamed UDK.exe to asdf.exe, UDK.com to asdf.com, and UDK.exe.config to asdf.exe.config and there we no issues. Also, modifying the exe resources so that BUILT WITH UDK is not there is very very simple with ResEdit.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about bink. I am using bink fullscreen right now and there is no watermark. My question is where is the watermark supposed to be that every one is talking about? Is it the small print text on the splash screen that says bink?

Comment

Working...
          X