Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geoff Keighley confirms Unreal Engine 4 reveal at E3: A full 30-minute GTTV special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ompakim View Post
    Well, Geoff Keighley actually said during the interviews that "2014 can't come fast enough for UE4", so I guess that's their targeted release.
    Unless he was referring to something else, of course..
    He may have been referring to the next console platform. In other words, "the engine is ready, where is the hardware?".

Comment

The ammount of negativity is getting boring to read.

If you think that the big licensees get the engine 2014 its kinda wierd.
      The closest idea of a Next gen Console is around 2014. Im not talking about wii U since thats current Gen. The wii U is basicaly a xbox 360 with a tablet. Atleast from the Quality of the games produced for it and what their targeting it for.

Now if the date is 2014 wich is a guestimation, and considering its quite Logical to assume even a earlyer release than that. Since lets face it. Xbox 720 is talked about already and some insider leaks are out if u can google info, Playstation orbis is in dev and so on..
      If we take 2014 as the date, and even 2015.
      Wouldnt it be logical that the developers need a engine to work with if they wanna target release date titles , wich is what epic wants.

now the logical thing is that games take time to develop. A next gen title may take even longer than 2 years standard industry dev time ( some have longer, some have smaller, but this is the "normal" ).
      When you think about that, then you look att the video showing off UE4 / UDK UE4. And you think of the time to create a next gen game ( longer, better, higher res, more quality ).
      What would be the logical target date to release it ? Considering their brave enough to show it publicaly now and its probably release value ( even in a beta phase ).

Id say personaly 2012 ( mid - late ) or 2013 early. So that devs can get their hands on it, Learn it ( another time consuming thing ) and learn the new and improved things.

If you think 2014 is the release date of this engine id say your out of ur weeboz. But its possible. just more likely to get released early next year or late this year.
      But i think that the UDK version wont be released until a few years later sadly as was the thing with UDK and UE3.
      More or less because industry people want to have a more early hands on than us peasants.

Comment

It's possible that some developers are already working with early UE4 builds, or are preparing to. I wouldn't expect a UDK build until the engine and tools are relatively stable however. In the case of UE3, this didn't happen until after UT3 shipped, whose editor still had some pretty nasty and difficult to avoid crash bugs. When we'll actually see a UDK release, who knows - but I wouldn't expect to see it before we see Epic ship a game.

Originally posted by ankangronto View Post
        "ambershee, the shatterer of hopes"
        I should get that printed on a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
          FYI, just because the build says 'UDK' doesn't mean there'll be a UDK release. Licensee builds using UE3 can easily say the same thing when the UDK project is built.
          A moderator has already quoted that there will be a UDK version of UE4. They also state (somewhere in the video) about the potential of high school-ers, students etc. when given technology like UE...

Comment

Originally posted by Robbyh View Post
            The ammount of negativity is getting boring to read.

If you think that the big licensees get the engine 2014 its kinda wierd.
            The closest idea of a Next gen Console is around 2014. Im not talking about wii U since thats current Gen. The wii U is basicaly a xbox 360 with a tablet. Atleast from the Quality of the games produced for it and what their targeting it for.

Now if the date is 2014 wich is a guestimation, and considering its quite Logical to assume even a earlyer release than that. Since lets face it. Xbox 720 is talked about already and some insider leaks are out if u can google info, Playstation orbis is in dev and so on..
            If we take 2014 as the date, and even 2015.
            Wouldnt it be logical that the developers need a engine to work with if they wanna target release date titles , wich is what epic wants.

now the logical thing is that games take time to develop. A next gen title may take even longer than 2 years standard industry dev time ( some have longer, some have smaller, but this is the "normal" ).
            When you think about that, then you look att the video showing off UE4 / UDK UE4. And you think of the time to create a next gen game ( longer, better, higher res, more quality ).
            What would be the logical target date to release it ? Considering their brave enough to show it publicaly now and its probably release value ( even in a beta phase ).

Id say personaly 2012 ( mid - late ) or 2013 early. So that devs can get their hands on it, Learn it ( another time consuming thing ) and learn the new and improved things.

If you think 2014 is the release date of this engine id say your out of ur weeboz. But its possible. just more likely to get released early next year or late this year.
            But i think that the UDK version wont be released until a few years later sadly as was the thing with UDK and UE3.
            More or less because industry people want to have a more early hands on than us peasants.
            An argument to why they should release UDK at the same time as the license is that the more ppl that use it = more people to hire from that already knows the engine and better community support.

Comment

I should get that printed on a t-shirt.
              Before I saw his, I was going to suggest "Ambershee: Peeing in peoples cornflakes since Sep 2006".

Assumptions are being made all over the spectrum depending on our backgrounds it seems, those of us who have been with the engine for several generations know how Epic historically releases things each new engine generation. This is however, the first time a "UDK" has existed during the birth of a new engine generation. The whole concept of UDK was a gamble, but one they are no doubt winning on, and now the question is whether it will pay for them to give us this tech sooner than later or if that would just be a headache. I feel, somewhat like Ambershee, that they wouldnt release the UE4 UDK before they at least themselves shipped a game with it, and then there has to be adequate documentation or they will have buttload of people with a product that they have no idea what to do with.

Comment

Originally posted by Derp View Post
                A moderator has already quoted that there will be a UDK version of UE4. They also state (somewhere in the video) about the potential of high school-ers, students etc. when given technology like UE...
                Correct. UDK will eventually get UE4, but my guess is we won't see it for around 18 - 24 months.

Also, I love that new Kismet interface. Darker schemes is so much easier to look at for long periods of time... Epic cares about my eyes! :') Ahwwwww.

I was SO excited to see him talk about how the artist was able to just 'draw in a graph' how the spaceship bobbed up and down, instead of having to code a mathematical formula. That is the most exciting thing about UE4 to me, the graphics are just a nice extra. The fact that we'll be able to create so much faster [through Kismet2 and the lack of light building] is the truly appealing thing and what I consider UE4's main selling point. Think about it... long development cycles are the death of success when it comes to video games. When the money runs out, compromises get made and games that shouldn't have, suck because the devs didn't have the time they should have to spend polishing. If you can tell a development team you can shorten their dev cycle by 20%... sit back and watch the waves of money sweep you away.

Keep it up, Epic!

Comment

Mike Capps mentioned in an interview with Develop Magazine last year that they're seriously considering supporting indies a lot sooner this time around. Here are a few excerpts:

There was no Unreal Development Kit even four years ago, and I think it’s been real successful in getting people used to our technology.
                  Should we have done that from day one with UE3? Yeah, maybe.

I’m not sure if we’re going to do it straight away with Unreal Engine 4, but if you look at what we do now with UE3... we could have done that before and we didn’t spend much time on it. How much that will figure into Unreal Engine 4 is up to us.
                  I would like to have a vertical solution – for our tech to be useful for mobile projects and triple-A projects. In the past few years I think we’ve learned a lot about our technology and how it works for indie studios. How our tech works for iPhone games, for high-end triple-A studios and for a couple of guys who make a cool UDK game over the summer.

We’re going to apply all these lessons we’ve learned with Unreal Engine 4, and I think you’re going to see a lot of difference with UE3 within the first six months from launch.
                  And the other thing I’ll call out; I want Unreal Engine 4 to be ready far earlier than UE3 was; not a year after the consoles are released. I think a year from a console’s launch is perfectly fine for releasing a game, but not for releasing new tech. We need to be there day one or very early. That’s my primary focus.
                  For us as a game-maker, we aren’t keen on shipping games day one because there’s not much of an install-base, or at least not one as big as it’s going to be. But with engines, that’s a different story. We want to deliver our tech as early as possible even though our first big marquee game might not be on there for twelve or even twenty-four months from a console’s launch.

Comment

FYI, just because the build says 'UDK' doesn't mean there'll be a UDK release. Licensee builds using UE3 can easily say the same thing when the UDK project is built.
                    Yes but look at it from other perspective. What's better way to polish you software than giving it to thousands of free beta testers ?

Anyway. I'm pretty sure we will get it sooner than later, but not this year. Next year is possible.

Comment

"Sooner" isn't much of a statement. UE3 was revealed in 2003/2004, and it took until 2009 to become UDK. Epic shipped Gears in 2006 (editor very unstable) and UT3 in 2007 (editor largely stable).

Comment

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they release an UE4 UDK some time this year. It's to their advantage to get people using it and experienced in it so that more developers would want to use the engine in the next generation. Not only that but examples of work from people can also demonstrate the features which can further get developers on board.

Comment

hey guys check this picture! Is this UDK used in presentation?

Comment

It says 'UDK' because it is not the editor for a specific game project. It doesn't imply a pending UDK release.

Comment

"Sooner" isn't much of a statement. UE3 was revealed in 2003/2004, and it took until 2009 to become UDK. Epic shipped Gears in 2006 (editor very unstable) and UT3 in 2007 (editor largely stable).
                              Again, that was UE3. They were taking a gamble and the results were good, why would they now wait 2-3 years after unveiling UE4 to release a UDK version?

Comment

It says 'UDK' because it is not the editor for a specific game project. It doesn't imply a pending UDK release.
                                Ambershee is correct. As I've stated before we have confirmed that Epic will release a UE4 UDK down the road however there isn't a time-frame for it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X