What do you think of my UDK Tutorial site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of my UDK Tutorial site

I am working on a site that will teach every single thing about the UDK, from where everything is to how to use it and how to build small games. It will have written tutorials as well as HD video tutorials showing you how to do everything.

Keep in mind the site is nowhere near complete. It is still under construction but please tell me what you think so far. It is very similar to the UDN at this point in time but easier to navigate.

https://sites.google.com/site/learnunreal/home

It's looking good, you have a few spelling errors. But nothing that can't be fixed

Comment

its a nice idea, but you have a loooooong way to go....

I would wish for video TUT's section

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! And yes there will be video tutorials in HD quality. Im debating on how to make the videos. What do you think the Video tutorials should be about? should i cover everything in the videos that i did on my site? or should they just be about putting a small game together? The site most likely wont cover Uscript since it will be dead when UE4 comes out.

Comment

nice but before starting you should think about what your readers do expect. There are many English language introductions to Unreal / UDK around. It may be more interesting if you would either cover more advanced topics like mesh paint or you would build a small game level (or an environment) and show how you did it. Look at youtube to get some ideas, i.e. UDK Courtyard, UDK Pumping Station and UDK Level to name but a few nice examples. Look at mozidesigner's channel at youtube to see what I mean.

Another way would be to rebuild parts of a level of another game in UDK and deconstruct the design process. I. e. in an assignment, my students rebuild the famous dedust level in UDK and then texture it with their own textures to give it another appearence. Then they spice up the level with UDK's meshes, Cascade and some Kismet to have some interactivity. Thus they learn level design in general as well as how to use one specific game engine.

Good luck!

Comment

I think you should look back and recall the things you had trouble learning in UDK.
            Things that you had to dig and dig to find information on.

COLLISION in UDK was a big one for me. I found a couple video tutorials, but a lot of essential information was always left out, like how unchecking Simple Line/Box/Rigid Body in the static mesh editor would generate flawless collision for you, even though it might be a bit inefficient (?)

Comment

Oh yes, my tutorials will cover everything. collision, brushes, packages, content browser, streaming, lighting, kismit, matinee, volumes, meshes, terrain, actor properties and tons more. thanks for the feedback

Comment

I think a small Game from beginn to end

A Video tutorial Series

like that

Intro
                A small Menu with Basic functions (Game start/exit)
                2 Levels
                Outro, Credits

mostly done with Kismet

Comment

Yes im definetly going to be doing that. I think what im going to do is make a video tutorial series that replicates the website so if people dont want to read and look through stuff they can just watch the video instead, some people learn better with videos than looking on a website, but thats what my site is all about is helping people learn and yes im going to be doing stuff like that too, i dont even know Uscript so i hope a menu can be done in kismit :P

Comment

A nice way to get started my friend! Keep it up!

Comment

Great tutorials mate, to be honest i learned new stuff there that i never knew before i'm a programmer so i only program in uscript i never knew about the texture pan tool, thanks for this tutorial, it's been bookmarked,

Comment

Working...
                      X