Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK for making a game

Howdy,

I am not a complete newbie to game development, I know a good deal of programming in other languages, and I have been working with the Unity Engine for a long time now. But I am interested in the UDK and how hard it is to make a game in it. I mean, straight out of the box it is pretty much unreal tournament, and is based for making FPS games.

Where would I go to learn how to start creating a game that is not based off of unreal tournament, etc. I don't even know what scripts to edit, etc. Any link to any tutorial would be helpful. I am not looking to create levels, I am looking to learn UnrealScript for game development.

Epic's ditching UnrealScript in their next engine so if I were you I wouldn't even bother. (If I only had known this some weeks ago I would have chosen something else.)

Comment

Take a look at the UDK Gems here for some examples. The key classes are GameInfo, PlayerController, Pawn and Actor (which is UDKs equivalent to Unity's GameObject). Actors use a component model, and the PrimitiveComponent class is the basis for meshes and also physics.

You can ignore the UT based classes if you want to avoid a full-on FPS, though extending the basic classes above will give you a bare-bones 'walking around' FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenchu View Post
        Epic's ditching UnrealScript in their next engine so if I were you I wouldn't even bother. (If I only had known this some weeks ago I would have chosen something else.)
        You can safely ignore that knee-jerk reaction to speculation regarding the forthcoming UE4. Anything you learn now with unreal script will put you in a better position for the future, and the current UE3 model will be with us for sometime yet.

Seriously... some people on this forum need to get more experience in game development and programming in general before opening their mouth and inserting both feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
          You can safely ignore that knee-jerk reaction to speculation regarding the forthcoming UE4. Anything you learn now with unreal script will put you in a better position for the future, and the current UE3 model will be with us for sometime yet.

Seriously... some people on this forum need to get more experience in game development and programming in general before opening their mouth and inserting both feet.
          Pretty much my thoughts.

I already heard about UE4 discontinuing UnrealScript, but If they are going to create some other sort of scripting system, It would probably be good to know a bit of UnrealScript. I have been working with a bunch of different programming languages, and it is safe to say that even though one of the languages isnt very practical, any sort of programming knowledge will help you. I learned all about programming with Java, and I was able to take my knowledge of java and learn C++, C#, and unityscript alot faster then I would have been able to without the prior knowledge.

Pretty much just saying that UnrealScript knowledge would be good to have even if it is going to be ditched soon.

Also, thanks for the gems page. I will check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
            Anything you learn now with unreal script will put you in a better position for the future, and the current UE3 model will be with us for sometime yet.
            Anything you learn will put you in a better position for the future. Some knowledge is just more valuable than other.

I feel cheated on the past weeks I spent on learning UDK. Nothing of it is really new to me, it's just learning the Epic's way of doing it, their workflow etc. I've spent hours looking through the UnrealScript source code many days, figuring out how everything works in the system they've built. And now I know that is obsolete. I haven't really learnt anything other than how Epic has solved it. I've programmed in so many languages they all look the same. Learning UnrealScript wasn't hard, but all those hours spent on just reading Epic's code... Well, I wont be getting those back.

The choice is up to each one of us, but if I had known... I would've invested my time in something else.

If someone wants to invest their time in obsolete technology, that's up to them. Just saying I wont.

Comment

I have a link to the UnrealScript book I wrote in my sig. It's written as a beginner's guide but is still very useful for anyone coming to UnrealScript from another language.

Welcome and beware, apparently the static mesh skydome is falling!

Comment

They are replacing UnrealScript with C++ for UE4. Also, learning UnrealScript isn't worthless if you can put it to good use before UE4 is made available to UDK, especially if it is similar to other languages.

Comment

That's not going to be right away, but if people are content waiting 1, 2 years, maybe more for a UE4 UDK with C++ instead of UnrealScript they're certainly free to.

Comment

Working...
                  X