Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a video game company, how to sell a video game you produce, how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BmB23 View Post
    And this is why Steam needs to die. Rabid anticompetitive fanboys, worse than the Firefox brigade. If you don't want to buy a game just because it isn't supporting Valve's monopoly you frankly don't deserve to play it.
    Its not the reason why Steam needs to die, its the reason why competition needs to up their game and actually compete with Valve.

Valve is the ultimate capitalist corporation of our generation. They are so good at that, they create fans while doing it. Other services think capitalism is about ****ing the customer. Thats why they keep failing. Thats why everyone sooner or later becomes rabid fans of Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by ADF86 View Post
      Well actually I'm almost positive you personally get to decide when to put your game on sale which can actually be very advantageous monetarily speaking, as it can place you in front of gamers at just the right time. I'd say the money lost from a well-timed sale could easily be worth the return made. I'd happily take 50% off for a weekend to get a thousand extra people playing my game, and in return a few thousand extra bucks for my team.

And to BmB23, there's nothing wrong with competition, but I don't think Steam needs to die, nor do I think there's a viable competitor at the moment. Steam's system isn't one that's been matched, Origin is pretty frustrating/unappealing, as has been said it's nice to have a majority of games in one location that's easily accessible if reformatting or buying a new PC, etc. Not to mention from an indie standpoint the service it brings in terms of awareness and utilities.. Good luck getting thousands of players on an indie game with an nonexistent marketing budget and setting up that matchmaking server and hosting player logins and stats.
      And good luck getting the Steam integration into UDK to work properly, too. I've heard that it's a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sbetween View Post
        Its not the reason why Steam needs to die, its the reason why competition needs to up their game and actually compete with Valve.

Valve is the ultimate capitalist corporation of our generation. They are so good at that, they create fans while doing it. Other services think capitalism is about ****ing the customer. Thats why they keep failing. Thats why everyone sooner or later becomes rabid fans of Valve.
        Because Steam is perfect. The only thing they did well was make Half-Life. Everyone's been blinded by everything they do no matter how ****ty since then.

Steam is an obnoxious draconian resource hog with ripoff prices. EA Store was awesome until they copied Steam, but of course nobody took note because while it's cool to love valve, it's also cool to hate EA. There's nothing about steam that is special, it's all about brand power and marketing. And refusing to buy a game anywhere but steam is the ultimate symptom of this.

If you wanna see digital distribution that is genuinely special, check out GOG. Or Sprocket for that matter.

Comment

Because Steam is perfect. The only thing they did well was make Half-Life. Everyone's been blinded by everything they do no matter how ****ty since then.

Steam is an obnoxious draconian resource hog with ripoff prices. EA Store was awesome until they copied Steam, but of course nobody took note because while it's cool to love valve, it's also cool to hate EA. There's nothing about steam that is special, it's all about brand power and marketing. And refusing to buy a game anywhere but steam is the ultimate symptom of this.

If you wanna see digital distribution that is genuinely special, check out GOG. Or Sprocket for that matter.
          You mean like if you have any problems EA game ****s on you and Valve actually helps?

Comment

EA Store makes me pay with Euro's and include VAT AND new games are €60. I never saw a Euro currency in my entire life and my country is not in EU (or has any laws for online taxing). Its been always like this with EA since day 1.

It seems you're blinded by your hatred towards Steam, thats very hipster of you

Steam is awesome because its convenient, its reliable, and the company that runs the service aren't giant douchebags that wants you pay for reloading your ammo (EA) or wants you to pay monthly/yearly fees for their annual FPS titles (Activision) or wants you to be 100% online because you're a dirty filthy pirate (everyone).

Its not perfect, not by a long shot, but its the best we've seen yet, that includes GOG.com also.

Comment

Steam also requires you to be online 100% of the time. Offline mode has never and continues to not work. (That is to say, it works... as long as you're actually online anyway)

GOG is perfect, EA Store was perfect. Steam has never been and will never be perfect. Steam is universally 25% more expensive than any alternative. (except on sale ofc) even so $=€ to these ****ers. Steam is bloated to the brim with useless community features and as said requires you to be online all the time. There are few DRM schemes more obnoxious.

GOG completely 100% gtfos your face, sprocket completely 100% gtfos your face, EA store used to completely 100% gtfo your face (before they made a steam copy client with all that entails) GOG is extremely attractively priced even for newer releases, sprocket is a no middleman solution that not only maximises profit for the developer but also reduces prices as a result, and EA stores price points have always been competitive with retail for me.

Heck, EADM didn't even try to pretend bandwithd was free, which was completely ok with me. It isn't, that's the truth. And I'd rather pay up front for the bandwith than have it sneak into bloated game prices.

Comment

I've never had an issue with offline for Steam games

Comment

Yes it appears to work fine as long as you're online, but then when you genuinely don't have internet it blanks clientregistry upon failed login and laughs in your face.

Comment

Steam have many problems with the login.
                    Once you are online it uses a lot of workarounds to try to correct that.
                    But once you get one of those problems while offline, you are out for good.

Which is funny because it don't actually try to login when you are offline, it see a cached file... Which is know for becoming corrupted quite easily.
                    Well, anyway I was lucky that it only happened to me once that it bugged while I had no internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X