Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unrealscript will be removed from UE4!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet!!!!! Soo much easier!!!!

Comment

I think together with the sleek looking Kismet 2 we'll have much more control over how exactly our game will turn out with the new UDK.

Comment

Given the new emphasis on C++, you're free to implement whatever scripting language you so desire.

Comment

UDK and Unreal Engine are based on C++ so it is easy to remove support for the language Uscript (which in my opinion is nothing more than a mask for the real C++ code), they just need to remove the part which handles the translation from Uscript for C++, since the core engine is already programmed using C++. Remove support for this scripting language brings no great effort for the developers, but adds some extra time that could be spent on more important features and it may be possible that games will run faster without the scripting language. If Epic Games really remove support for Uscipt, I believe this should happen as a matter of necessity rather than by a prior decision. I always believed that the scripting language Uscript is the main responsible for the lack of dynamism in the engine, since the next version should be a little more dynamic, the development team probably should have had no alternative but to remove support to Uscript.

My only concern is if future versions of UDK are totally based on kismet with little or no access to C++ code. I hate Kismet and I am happy that I'm only using it to control some few mechanisms in animations. Just as whith me, I believe many have learned some programming language, in my case, I learned assembly and C++ when I took a electronics course, my head works much better when I look at a lot of code, than when I look to those boxes with a jumble of lines!

Comment

Originally posted by Matheus Martino View Post
            My only concern is if future versions of UDK are totally based on kismet with little or no access to C++ code. I hate Kismet and I am happy that I'm only using it to control some few mechanisms in animations. Just as whith me, I believe many have learned some programming language, in my case, I learned assembly and C++ when I took a electronics course, my head works much better when I look at a lot of code, than when I look to those boxes with a jumble of lines!
            I don't see why they'd do this if they're moving towards pure C++ for game and engine code.

Comment

They can't give out the source code of udk for free but having kismat only sounds bad they could have given the ability to write c++ classes in udk

Comment

Originally posted by Matheus Martino View Post
                my head works much better when I look at a lot of code, than when I look to those boxes with a jumble of lines!
                For many including myself, it is the exact opposite. I understand a certain amount of code but it's so much less efficient for me to debug.

Comment

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that it's kismet only now. They even show a C++ editor window in one of the videos.

Comment

My biggest concern is we are losing a language that was created specifically for the purpose of gameplay programming and related tasks, there is not many of these around and of those UScript would have to be the best (if alittle old in some respects). I do appreciate it might take a reasonable investment on Epic's part going into the furture and keeping the language moving but it had alot of potential to do things raw c++ cant offer.

I do like the look of event flows and charts such as this are very common amongst designers, programmers and planners alike so it allows some transferable skills to be used but it does also limit us. For example if new events cannot be defined from gameplay code we end up in the same position we are in now

Comment

That was visual studio
                      I think udk using ue4 will have no c++ or like in cryengine just one game dll

Comment

Originally posted by Zeqzy View Post
                        That was visual studio
                        I think udk using ue4 will have no c++ or like in cryengine just one game dll
                        You can actually do a lot with a game DLL. People have even integrated different scripting languages with the CE3 SDK using just the game code.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                          I really hope that UE3 UDK keeps seeing active development along side UE4, even if its less updates Im sure there are things we all require in one way or another out of UE3 UDK that arnt provided.
                          Exactly. Personally I don't care a bit about this Unreal Engine 4.
                          What I care about is the current Udk, which we can use to create great games and simulations starting from NOW. Epic just needs to tell us for how long they'll keep supporting it.

Comment

Working...
                          X