Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wired Magazine: Exclusive Sneak Peek at Unreal Engine 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wired Magazine: Exclusive Sneak Peek at Unreal Engine 4

    Note: This article contains screenshots only. There is no video yet.

    I woke up today and discovered this little gem in my Facebook feed. Unreal Engine 4 has been revealed to the public; and this is just a taste. Enjoy!

    #2
    Here's the link: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...all/1?pid=2550

    Comment


      #3
      I can't tell what is revolutionary from those static screenshots.

      Comment


        #4
        Dynamic lighting, high count particles with physics, high poly counts.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Baructt View Post
          Did you have a problem accessing the link in the original post?

          Comment


            #6
            The article talks about some really exciting stuff! Between KISMET 2 and the removal of the rendering process, I'm salivating. I wonder how long it will be until they release these features into UDK? A year or two?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by NickP View Post
              Did you have a problem accessing the link in the original post?
              I didn't notice. =) My bad.

              Comment


                #8
                Polygon appears to have word that we'll see the first public demo at E3 2012.
                http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...es-can-keep-up

                Comment


                  #9
                  Ambershee was right afterall (about Kismet 2)

                  You'd have to living under a rock for the last 2-4 years to call that jaw dropping though It looks great, but not jaw dropping, especially when compared to Samaritan.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Seriously. No more light baking. That alone is enough to sell me on this.

                    Also, all those screenshots are from inside the editor itself. Like if you just hit print screen with the editor out and cropped the menus out. THAT'S what is revolutionary about those screenshots. Really excited for June.

                    Also, Kismet 2 does sound Like it may be a really robust version of what already has a lot of features. Can't wait.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by JessieG View Post
                      Seriously. No more light baking. That alone is enough to sell me on this.

                      Also, all those screenshots are from inside the editor itself. Like if you just hit print screen with the editor out and cropped the menus out. THAT'S what is revolutionary about those screenshots. Really excited for June.

                      Also, Kismet 2 does sound Like it may be a really robust version of what already has a lot of features. Can't wait.
                      Right?? This really jumped out at me, though:

                      "When Alan Willard walks the audience through the demo—complete with armored demon, dancing sparks, and rolling balls of light—the room falls still. Then the twist: Willard reveals that both the cinematic scene and the following tech demo haven’t been running off a game file but in real time from within UE4′s game editor. It’s like finding out that the actors on TV are actually tiny people living inside your set. It also helps him show that changes can be made to the game’s design and code, recompiled and executed nearly instantly—a technical feat that has been simply unheard-of in game development. And just like that, the silence in the room becomes reverent. The videogame industry has changed."

                      Comment


                        #12
                        GPU power grows exponentially in each generation, but have they already hit the point where every light can be dynamic everywhere? Reflections, refraction, transmission, penumbra, indirect light bounces just about everywhere every frame?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          As long as it's more than one light at a time it'll be a big improvement

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ClimateChange View Post
                            GPU power grows exponentially in each generation, but have they already hit the point where every light can be dynamic everywhere? Reflections, refraction, transmission, penumbra, indirect light bounces just about everywhere every frame?
                            We hit that point a long time ago, however console hardware hasn't changed for nearly a decade.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Wow, impressed. I hope Epic decides that people are better off learning the new workflows and releases a UE4 version of UDK soon. Loved the Landscape shot, and the new Particle, Lighting and Kismet2 functions sound delicious.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X