Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDK packaging a game without the installer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UDK packaging a game without the installer

    Hi,

    I am not sure if this question has been posted before but I couldn't find it so I figured I could ask.

    I would like to release my UDK game on the indie games portal IndieCity. When I do this I supply all the games files and they compile it into there own installer. Therefore I cannot supply my game already with an installer like UDK does when you package a game.

    So my question is can I supply a standalone .exe and game files without packaging into an installer. If so how do I do this?

    Thanks so much!
    David

    #2
    I haven't tested it in a while, but I believe it will work if you simply copy the installed folder.
    It didn't when I first started, but it seems to do so now a days.

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry Im new, were exactly do I find the installed folder?

      Comment


        #4
        Wherever you chose to install to. Keep in mind, I mean after building and installing your build. That folder should be possible to copy and still be functional.

        Comment


          #5
          Oh right, Thanks so much for the help!

          There is no registry stuff then? Well thats convenient!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PeripheralGames View Post
            Oh right, Thanks so much for the help!

            There is no registry stuff then? Well thats convenient!
            No there is none of that. However there is tons and tons of useless content that you may want to remove to reduce the installer size. Problem is I don't know what can and what can't be removed. So for a submission where the installer wasn't possible I ende up doing an archive with most of the UDK folder still in it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by XilenceX View Post
              No there is none of that. However there is tons and tons of useless content that you may want to remove to reduce the installer size. Problem is I don't know what can and what can't be removed. So for a submission where the installer wasn't possible I ende up doing an archive with most of the UDK folder still in it.
              There really shouldn't be any "useless" content if you packaged the game through UnrealFrontend as that cooks the content so only referenced stuff ends up in the packaged game. Even if you then installed the game and repackage the install folder into your own installer, there wouldn't be any extra content.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                There really shouldn't be any "useless" content if you packaged the game through UnrealFrontend as that cooks the content so only referenced stuff ends up in the packaged game. Even if you then installed the game and repackage the install folder into your own installer, there wouldn't be any extra content.
                I think (I may be wrong) he means packaging the actual UDK folder that you have before you package the game

                Comment


                  #9
                  Why would you do that in the first place?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by PeripheralGames View Post
                    I think (I may be wrong) he means packaging the actual UDK folder that you have before you package the game
                    The only reason you would be allowed to do that is for moving it between your own computers or installation at a school or similar institution. You aren't allowed to distribute UDK itself as far as I am aware, only content and games or applications made using it. Regardless, that wasn't the topic of thread so I assumed he meant the folder for a packaged and installed game.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X