Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To EPIC devs : Please fix the 1 texel lightmap seam issue

Hi, guys!

I´m getting along with UDK really well but the tons of possibilities (learning scripting, animation blending, particles, gi settings, level design...) are a bit overwhelming at the moment (that is a positive comment) ;-) .

But one thing really really bugs me. This issue about the one texel width lightmap seams/split. I´ve read so many articles about this problem and tried so many things and some time it works the first time, sometime after fiddling with the us positions for hours and sometime I can´t get it to work at all. I know it as something to do with the uvs being not snapped to the edge, i.e. being inbetween. The trick with creating a checker material in max in the correct lightmap size doesn´t work with larger lightmap sizes (512x512), because the uv mapper doesn´t display the checker texture?!. Are there some hidden things in the *.ini files I could tweak?

I find it so strange that it only happens horizontally and not vertically?!

So, please fix it in one of the next updates!
    Best regards,
    Oli

Basically, you want to minimize the number of seams as much as possible with light map UV's. You also do need to leave a little bit of padding when you do have isolated chunks as well. Unfortunately, this is more of a hardware problem than it is a engine software problem as it has to do with the way bilinear filtering works unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
      Basically, you want to minimize the number of seams as much as possible with light map UV's. You also do need to leave a little bit of padding when you do have isolated chunks as well. Unfortunately, this is more of a hardware problem than it is a engine software problem as it has to do with the way bilinear filtering works unfortunately.
      Wouldn't the filtering problem be solvable by having lightmass calculate thicker padding around the lightmap UV islands? Kind of like the dilation xnormal plugin for Photoshop.

Comment

Lightmass itself doesn't generate UV maps ... so it's up to the user to do that.

Comment

Lightmass does pad around the borders of the UVs, but not between individual charts. It's up to the artist to pad those appropriately.

LightMapUnwrapping

Comment

Some-one else just posted this link (which I've run in to before, great explanation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx10JMl9f4

Comment

Working...
            X