Questions Before Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions Before Getting Started

I had one major question and that is while in game can I have a player interact with the world by raising it and lowering it? Another example would be I wanna pave a road can UDK support that function? The other question is networking wise can I update my maps in chunks so that way if a player is not near enough to a location that is changing he will ignore the updates until he gets closer.

Thanks just wondering what my limits are!
    Andrew

UDK levels aren't modular like that, no. You might get something working by using a lot of tricks and heavy coding, but it will still be limited.
    Games like that (sounds like you had wurm online in mind) are usually made with engines that is built to support it or hand-made in very basic engines to be able to do such things.

UDK uses culling for things that are out of view (Things to the side and behind the player are not rendered), and in general, things in the distance will be of lesser quality, using mipmaps and LODs, if you have them set up. But it will not ignore effects done to an object based on distance as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
      (sounds like you had wurm online in mind)
      You caught me . Do you know of any engine that is modular?

Comment

Nothing easily available. What you want is a very special case and most games are built on tech that was programmed with that specific functionality in mind.

Comment

Working...
        X