How do You do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Real men do per pixel physics with full destruction!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I once made a Pacman game in Java but didn't think of the matrix approach, so I just coded a collision check system for all the level geometry. Overhead like hell, but it was still nice to see it done that way. After all does a 2D game only need rectangles to check for collision, which is really easy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PacMan would have been much simpler; being a 2D game that simply never bothered to check for collision in the world, they would have just used a 2d grid and moved between squares

Leave a comment:

• replied
    WOW.... Thanks for the info... So even PAC MAN as simple as it looks, needed all of that math to keep Pinky from gliding through the walls...

Next time I'm getting my A$$ handed to me in a game i'll remember all of the hardwork, thought and MATH that went into making it happen.

I have tons more questions but those would just lead to more questions... I'll let you get back to work.

All of you have some amazing talent and you should be proud of yourselves...

PS... I make it a point to only play games made with the UNREAL Engine... Makes me feel like I'm friends with the people that made it...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Indeed I do agree

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What Reinrag is talking about is only what you see in the (massively abstracted) Unreal interface. The real meat of it all comes down to this:
    Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    Lots and lots of math.
    Scary math, at that.This paper goes over the details of how you work out when two cylinders intersect (for example a player colliding with another player) and the math behind it;
    http://www.geometrictools.com/Docume...fCylinders.pdf

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The game knows you pressed a button because it is the app that is in focus in Windows, pressing a button causes a hardware interrupt in your motherboard/cpu which sends the buttonpress to Windows, Windows then handles the press in the messaging queue, sends the message to the game that the button has been pressed, and then the game changes it's physics accordingly. Character jumps. Or if the key is unbound the game does nothing. USB keyboards work a little differently but the base idea is the same.

Collision detection is a whole can of worms on its own, but basically it checks every frame whether or not collision model X is inside collision model Y, and does this by comparing every shape in the collision model (triangles) to every other shape in the colliding model. There's a lot of complicated maths and it's typical to use mathematically simple to calculate shapes such a spheres, circles, cubes and cylinders (unreal uses this for characters). The wall likely uses a cube, but a static mesh would use a triangulated collision model.

Comparing everything is the prime reason physics is so expensive. Just making an object follow newtons laws, that's simple.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lots and lots of math.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You keep characters from walking through it by placing collision in the walls "collisions" are created natively in an engine, i'll take UDK for example, to block Players from walking to a wall like i said you place collisions or blocking volumes to the wall, to make him run jump and shoot, you create a playerinput.uc file ( this is programming) and you write what you desire using unrealscript's syntax

Leave a comment:

• started a topic How do You do it?

How do You do it?

First I'd like to say that I'm not interested in being a game designer. I just love to play them and have some questions.

How do you get the walls to act like walls? How do you keep the character from walking right through it?

I know it's a silly question but lately i've been thinking about how much work must go into making these games do what they do.

How does the game know that I pressed A to make him run, jump, shoot... everything??

It's just amazing imagining all of the things that must be going on for these games to look, act & feel like they do.

Just wondering... Thanks for your time
Working...
X