Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What screen resolutions should I offer in OPTIONS menu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What screen resolutions should I offer in OPTIONS menu?

Should I be detecting all the customers capable screen resolutions?

Should I just provide a list of the top 7 most popular? If so... what are the top 7?
    Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_resolution is what I used when doing the menu for our UDK showcase, I don't think UDK has the autodetect stuff that UT3 had, sadly, so its that, or consider a launcher utility.

Comment

Yes, You should be detecting all supported resolutions. If you are making a PC game, that is. Which, I assume, you are.

Comment

Or if detection is too complex just add a custom option and allow people to just type it in. If you, for example, used the list Jetfire posted I would not be able to properly run your game as my resolution is not listed in the table on that page.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
          Or if detection is too complex just add a custom option and allow people to just type it in. If you, for example, used the list Jetfire posted I would not be able to properly run your game as my resolution is not listed in the table on that page.
          I think this is the best choice, just allow people to type the resolution. Better if you make a launcher to set it before game starts.

Other choice: Start the game in windowed mode.

Comment

You could also offer a "native" option as most people will want to play at that resolution anyway. Just set the resolution to something ridiculously high and Unreal will end up using the highest possible resolution the screen supports, which is effectively the native resolution.

Comment

You can use DLLBinds to detect supported resolutions and put those in options menu. There was a guide a while ago about it.

Of course, DLLBind is only available in Windows, you won't be able to do it in Macs.

Comment

A step-by-step guide on adding DLL support for resolutions is in my sig, below.

Comment

Working...
                X