Creating a game with reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a game with reflection

I'm a game design student with a team working under me. We are trying to create a survival horror type game where the creatures chasing you are only visible in reflections. Here in lies our main problem, trying to make that game mechanic actually work. No one I know has worked on something quite this ambitious, and no one has any knowledge of making reflections a main part of a game. So our main problem is trying to get that to work, if it doesn't it's ok, we can just cut that part out of the game, but I think its a really cool mechanic and would love to see it working in the engine.

I was thinking maybe a certain material or shader could make the creatures invisible while walking around in 1st person, and only visible in reflections around the world. The creatures would always be in the world, just not visible unless viewed through a certain material. So that's as far as we've gotten, no one really knows anything past that in UDK.

If anyone has any idea as to how this might work, please post up and help me and my team out!

There's two ways I can think of going about it. One would be to use a scene capture of your reflected creatures and add that capture to the reflection of a material, so the actual creatures would be in some other map area that the player can't get to.

Other than that, you could put the creatures on the other side of the reflective object and have some type of transparency-like how the reflections are faked in the Citadel demo

Comment

So it would be like a hall of mirrors in a way? That could be pretty cool.

Comment

Any progress on this? It's a very interesting idea.

Comment

Working...
        X