Starting UDK- need guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting UDK- need guidance

Before I begin my magical journey of Unreal game development, I'd like to ask a few questions.

#1: Can one theoretically free-lance an entire game project all by themselves? As in, learn every step of the creation process to some extent?

#2: Can Unreal script be learned from the ground-up, with no prior scripting experience, around a year's time with only online tutorials?

#3: About how much content really gets put into a completely new game; Not just Meshes, props, and environments- but actual scripting?

#4: How much competition is there for the Unreal engine 3 market?

#5: Is UDK talent, patience, or both?

#6: Is UDK my best bet to turn a hobby into a job?

#7: -IF- so, where should I start?

I understand the work implications. Thousands of hours- just to even learn, not to actually make games. I also know that I have to start very small. No ambitious game ideas for at least a year or two. Or three.

If any of these questions have already been answered somewhere else, forgive me.

(I've just graduated from high school, and am in search of a career. I have 4 years of self-taught 3d modeling and animation experience, but no scripting experience whatsoever.)

#1: Depends on the Game and how much time you have. Theoretically I can build a super computer out of spoons, you need to specify what you want to build
    #2: Depends on how much time you have to put in every week and how advanced you want to get. To build a decent shooter with 20-40 hours per week of dedicated self training, hells yes
    #3: What kind of game?
    #4: Competition for the UE3 market? Meaning how much competition does Epic face as an engine/tools provider or how much competition for a game developer making a game using UE3?
    #6: Depends on the hobby. As the saying goes the tools aren't the determining factor it's the user.
    #7: I believe you just did start by asking these questions.. However instead of coming into a community and asking others to spend their valuable time answering your questions why not spend your own time googling and using the search feature in terms of resources and where to start.

Bottom line is what do you want to do? Why are you looking at scripting/UDK when you have 4 years experience in 3D(assuming you have those 4 years because you actually love doing 3D). Why not join a team and lend your skills in that sense, or go get a degree somewhere like Full Sail and apply for jobs in the industry? Stick with what you are good at, unless you hate what you are good at and you'll get a lot further doing something you enjoy than trying to be able to do everything and getting nowhere

Originally posted by BlueBlankey View Post
    Before I begin my magical journey of Unreal game development, I'd like to ask a few questions.

#1: Can one theoretically free-lance an entire game project all by themselves? As in, learn every step of the creation process to some extent?

#2: Can Unreal script be learned from the ground-up, with no prior scripting experience, around a year's time with only online tutorials?

#3: About how much content really gets put into a completely new game; Not just Meshes, props, and environments- but actual scripting?

#4: How much competition is there for the Unreal engine 3 market?

#5: Is UDK talent, patience, or both?

#6: Is UDK my best bet to turn a hobby into a job?

#7: -IF- so, where should I start?

I understand the work implications. Thousands of hours- just to even learn, not to actually make games. I also know that I have to start very small. No ambitious game ideas for at least a year or two. Or three.

If any of these questions have already been answered somewhere else, forgive me.

(I've just graduated from high school, and am in search of a career. I have 4 years of self-taught 3d modeling and animation experience, but no scripting experience whatsoever.)

Comment

if your interested in fps like I am then I suggest you get started by completing this tutorial on creating your own fps, it includes the entire pipeline, modeling and code, I'm in the process of modeling an fn fal that I'm going to use as i work with the instructor instead of the glock. You'll know exactly what you want to do and what you should do when you've finished this tutorial, because it covers everything.

http://www.magicstonestudios.com/tutorials/

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelly View Post
        #1: Depends on the Game and how much time you have. Theoretically I can build a super computer out of spoons, you need to specify what you want to build
        #2: Depends on how much time you have to put in every week and how advanced you want to get. To build a decent shooter with 20-40 hours per week of dedicated self training, hells yes
        #3: What kind of game?
        #4: Competition for the UE3 market? Meaning how much competition does Epic face as an engine/tools provider or how much competition for a game developer making a game using UE3?
        #6: Depends on the hobby. As the saying goes the tools aren't the determining factor it's the user.
        #7: I believe you just did start by asking these questions.. However instead of coming into a community and asking others to spend their valuable time answering your questions why not spend your own time googling and using the search feature in terms of resources and where to start.

Bottom line is what do you want to do? Why are you looking at scripting/UDK when you have 4 years experience in 3D(assuming you have those 4 years because you actually love doing 3D). Why not join a team and lend your skills in that sense, or go get a degree somewhere like Full Sail and apply for jobs in the industry? Stick with what you are good at, unless you hate what you are good at and you'll get a lot further doing something you enjoy than trying to be able to do everything and getting nowhere
        Yes, I should have been more specific. But don't make me quote general forum rule #10.
        I don't think that a few questions can or will deplete anyone of a lot of valuable time. I only asked these questions because The search tool came up empty- or too full.
        Let me explain myself properly this time

I'm planning on making a relatively decent arcade flight sim. I have all the time I could ever need and want- several years of learning, then maybe several years of developing.
        I've used Unreal before, and loved it. I don't want to enter an animation work field, because I want to be my own boss, if you know what I mean. I love animation, but it's not for animation's sake. I view it as just another tool to create the worlds I want others to see.
        I vary my mediums to express my world in as many ways as I can. I only stuck with animation because it was the most efficient- being that I spend most of my time on the computer.
        I also was referring to the competition of others using UDK. I won't want to one-man something for nothing. If whole teams are barely getting anything- how could I? I just want to know if Uscript is a good tool to express one's world in a way that others will enjoy. I'm sure it's a yes, but if not, I want to know now before I waste my time.
        I don't mind wasting SOME time though. I've lost so much of it switching mediums in my mad pursuit of realization that it has lost some meaning.

So in essence- Doing everything IS what I enjoy.
        Is UDK my answer?

Comment

Working...
        X