FBX import: can't see textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBX import: can't see textures

I succesfully imported an FBX staic mesh from 3ds MAx into my package, however, the three materials are just coloured materials rather than showing the relevant textures within. I'd used a multi-sub object to texture rather than an unwrap as I'd read this works.

I used jpegs in Max, was this wrong or perhaps there is some other reason ?

Any ideas please ?

It's exactly as it is supposed to be.

A material and a model are not two parts of the same thing. They are two different enteties that can but not necessarily have to be used to together.

You have to import the textures seperately and setup a material in UDK.

Comment

When you select 'include media' in the FBX exporter from 3ds Max, surely this does as it says - includes the media ie textures ??

Comment

UDK does not support jpeg textures. You need to use one of the formats that are supported: .tga, .png, .psd, .bmp, .pcx

Also, make sure the dimensions of the textures are powers of 2. They may not import otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by tesco View Post
          When you select 'include media' in the FBX exporter from 3ds Max, surely this does as it says - includes the media ie textures ??
          It will not "glue" the textures to the model, no.
          I haven't tried it, but the most it could possibly do is simply import the seperate textures, if the above conditions are met.

Comment

Thanks Graylord & ff*.

I was aware of the power of two rule and I'd also used png format. I'd watched a few You tube videos where they were *definately* importing the textures from the fbx export.

I understand that the materials have to be created from the textures, but my fbx export is not including the textures. Stickly speaking, it is including the textures as I can tell from the size of the file. UDK isn't having them.

I remain baffled.

Comment

Check the launch.log after you do the import and see if it says anything.

Are you sure the material(s) are set up correctly in Max? What import options are you choosing?

You don't need to include the media in the export either. The texture locations are stored in the file either way so the importer will find those and import them.

Comment

im having the same issue. Custom character with a goofed up animation in udk with colors that dont represent the model.

Comment

Working...
                X