ASE or FBX ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASE or FBX ?

If I made a a simple building with a door or two, added a set of UCX_ collider meshes, would I export as ASE or FBX.
    What's the difference please ?

Thank you kindly.

ASE is an older format and is deprecated. FBX is what is generally used these days.

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for replying, I assumed this was the case as I couln't see the advantage of ASE over FBX. The problem arises, for me, when looking at older tutorials. These often use ASE as I don't think FBX was available to UDK initially.

Comment

That's not really an issue. When you see them export with ASE, just export with FBX instead. That's it.

Comment

In rare cases we have seen some weird shading issue sthat have forced us to export to ASE but overall we use FBX for 99% of our stuff..

Comment

Well... I usually export one object to both formats, so that way if one doesn't work, then I'll import it via the other. I usually do the FBX import first to see if it takes, and if not, then I'll take it into MilkShape or whatever, then use that to convert the mesh into an ASE then import it from that. Depends on what the mesh is, and how well it'll work.

Comment

One thing to note when using FBX, collision meshes must be named UCX_TheMeshName_01 (it won't work without a suffix on the end iirc)

Comment

Working...
              X