Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better interface for UDK? Non-overlapping one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better interface for UDK? Non-overlapping one?

I recently beginning to learn UDK more extensively. I have some background with Blender and Unity and I'm used with the non-overlapping interfaces this programs have.

Unfortunately UDK have a lot of windows that are popping-up for everything. It's an annoying work-flow to always move the windows to be able to see the main windows. Practically the Content Browser, Actor Classes, etc. is blocking almost the entire view of the main window. An non-overlapping approach it seems to be more practical. Just take a look at Blender non-overlapping approach.

Also will be great to have some "Screens" or "Workspaces" like in Blender and Unity, and the possibility to easily switch between them. You can organize a workspace for the content browser, another one for Kismet, another one for Cascade, etc.

It's a good idea but I wouldn't count on it, most game dev studios use at least 2 monitors per workstation.

Comment

It would already be great if the minimized windows that row up at the bottom of the screen would always be on top of other windows. Then you could at least navigate them easily with single clicks, but this and other tiny comfort features have been requested for ages already…

Comment

Would be nice if the editor had some kind of built in alt+tab functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
          Would be nice if the editor had some kind of built in alt+tab functionality.
          I believe it does but I can't remember how to access it at the moment. I'll look it up when I get a chance and report back.

Comment

I know what you mean, I only have one monitor, and its pretty small at 17" so I feel your pain LOL! I dont even have the desk space to use 2 monitors, especially with my sizey speakers.

I guess at the moment the best thing you could do is use the maximum resolution your monitor/GFX card supports at whatever aspect ratio your using. My card supports HD resolutions, but my monitor is only capable of displaying 1280x1024 AFAIK. Theres some overlapping, but its not TOO bad. If I had it on 1024x768, I'd have NO chance LOL! Yep, a window switching feature would be great, I'll keep an eye out!

Comment

It is Ctrl + Tab. That brings up an cycles through a list of all of the browsers and any other windows you have open like Material Editor, Static Mesh Editor, AnimSet Editor, etc.

Comment

I would agree.

A UDK development pipeline has a lot of semantical quantitative steps that require flipping between a lot of windows. And things like having to alternate between an object's properties, the content browser, the animset editor, kismet, material editor, things like that or having to press Ctrl + Tab to alternate between each niche app is a major efficiency bottleneck. And this is coming from someone who has a dual-screen configuration. Even with a lot more real estate readily available, each window behaves as its own distraction across multiple screens. It stands to reason that UDK would function better for its users if it took steps to integrate its stuff a lot more.

Maybe an option to make the windows dockable (like PhotoShop), perhaps?

Comment

It would be good if UDK could dock the panels to one side like other 3D softwares, that would make a world of a difference!

Comment

I had hell working with some complex effect systems a few months ago - I ended up investing in a fourth display so that I could have enough space to work on; multiple material editor windows, cascade, world and a second instance of the editor FTL.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishdafish View Post
                      It would be good if UDK could dock the panels to one side like other 3D softwares, that would make a world of a difference!
                      Quoted for agreement!

Comment

Working...
                      X