Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Powered by Unreal Engine 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ What he said. For the record, Epic also didn't ship the first UE3 game either, nor the first one with an editor.

Comment

Let's not forget that we were fortunate enough to have the editor along with PC versions of UT3 and GoW, so we should give Epic credit for warming us up for UDK with those. Not to mention that those certainly were the best two games I could have ever written levels for, and I'm not just kissing up. Heck, I loved UnrealEd better than I liked Duke 3D's Build engine, if you can believe that (just don't let the guys over at Duke4.net know that).

Anywho, I'd love to see what games we can expect UE4 to be unleashed in. Can't wait to see what 2012/2013 will bring from Epic...this should be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

The two biggest features that would tickle me pink....change it to more of a game building enviornment...rather than just an engine...what would be snazzy...allowing unreal engine..or udk..to in a sence act as client/server all built in....to explain...say im project leader..i install the engine as the "server" side....and my team the client side....this would set up a virtual network..with this you could....render farm, multiple people working in the world at the same time....multiple scripters editing....also add a "white board" feature where you couldassign tasks and brainstorm..

Comment

Really nice discussion.
          thank's for sharing information.

Comment

I doubt we see a UDK4 until at least one UE4 AAA title ships, probably on a next gen console.
            I think, UDK based on UE4 will come as soon as UE4 will be ready to use by external developers.

This make most sense. What's better way to attract new people ?

Comment

I wouldn't expect it would be ready that soon. They won't make it available to non-licensees until it's fairly stable (UE3 wasn't for a while after - not really until Epic shipped UT3).

Comment

That's why I said ready for external developers. Maybe I should add "that can't have access to C++ source" ;p.

Comment

if you read the top left corner of the video
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VitLy...1&feature=plcp
                  you will read gdc12_demo unreal editor udk (64bit/dx11) at 5.09 pretty close to proof if you ask me

Comment

@sconfoy
                    yeah but UDK does not mean give UE4 to non licensees first, it means Unreal Development Kit,

Comment

Maybe, yes or No!

Well folks, as I see it if you get a "UDK UE4" verson, the probabilltys are...
                      ...You maybe able to use the "UE4 editor" with a single core cpu, but...
                      but will most likely be UNABLE to run it in "play mode", unless you have at least a quadcore cpu in your PC!!!
                      ...of corse I maybe wrong, but sinse its supose to be a "multicore" software if I am lucky it will run, maybe crowl on my dualcore!!! :/

Comment

i really hope they have more enfasis in open worlds

if they do that then UE4 is going to be my sweet.sweeet baby :P

Comment

There's nothing about UDK that stops you from making open worlds already, only the map size which isn't really a problem

Comment

i could have sworn that i saw a article about a conversation with tim and he stated unreal engine 4 would be released in 2014?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unrea...s-224248.shtml

but then i read this ealier,, and it states 2013

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/27/ep...onsole-launch/

so which is it?

Comment

@slowman, most modern laptops ship with a dual core cpu, and many of them have four or six cores, so unless your outdated, and i mean pre 2007 desktop, you should be able to run the games made on it. if you are outdated, you probably shouldnt be developing graphically intensive games in the first place, sorry, but its the truth

Comment

Originally posted by sconfoy1 View Post
                                @slowman, most modern laptops ship with a dual core cpu, and many of them have four or six cores, so unless your outdated, and i mean pre 2007 desktop, you should be able to run the games made on it. if you are outdated, you probably shouldnt be developing graphically intensive games in the first place, sorry, but its the truth
                                Sort of like trying to start a camp fire with some twigs and a piece of flint when someone is standing next to you with a blowtorch.

Comment

Working...
                                X