X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Phone 8 use NT Kernel , ok ! UDK can support build in WP8

Windows Phone 8 use NT Kernel:
    http://www.osnews.com/story/25574/Mi..._Use_NT_Kernel

ok ! I am so happy ! few mouth after update , UDK can support build in WP8.
    WP7 is a closed os , only use sliverlight to design game , the base native program is C# , not support C++ , so UNREAL ENGINE 3 can't support WP7, but ... the WP8 use NT kernel , this is support C++ , ok , future UDK support build in WP8 .

so for future , UDK Frontend can build in:
    PC / MAC
    iOS /Android /WP8
    Flash Webgame

UE3 can build in:
    PC / Linux /MAC
    iOS/Android/WP8
    Flash Webgame
    PS3/WII/X360
    PSP Vita

WP7 "supports" C++ itself, it obviously has to for them to code the OS systems and architecture along with the runtimes for .NET, Silverlight, XNA and so on. The fact they don't allow you to is another issue entirely and it has nothing to do with the kernal. It was a clear decision by MS to restrict access to native code on their mobile platform for many reasons from security to performance and so on (I'm sure there's plenty of interviews with guys like Brandon Watson, Charlie Kindle and Shawn Hargreaves which go into more detail about the reasons.) There have been some third party apps released which MS have allowed to use native code written in C++ for very specific functions.

While there has been talk every now and again about opening up native code access on the WP7 platform, I don't see that happening and I don't see it happening on WP8 either considering how MS are pushing managed code for Windows 8 hardcore right now. So don't get your hopes up, even in the slim chance MS does open up native code access on their mobile platform Epic would still need to implement support for it and they're still holding off Android support in UDK despite that being a hundred times more popular a platform than WP7 right now.

Comment

I doubt Epic will support any Windows phones, there's just not much of a market there.

Comment

There's certainly a large and ever growing market for them, Windows Phone's market share is picking up much faster than Android did at this stage in it's life cycle (Android G1 early adopter and WP7 early adopter here), but the point isn't that Epic won't support it because of the lack of market share. The point is that there's other platforms with greater market share and, more importantly, which provide the required native code access which still needing support.

Comment

Alex , me too , I trust few mouth after , UDK support build in WP8 OS.

Comment

Do you ever actually read what people are saying, May? I said that I DO NOT believe they will make with Windows Phone support because of the artificial limitations imposed on development for the platform by MS. I have asked Mark Rein about this on a few occasions on Twitter and got the same answer. To put it in simpler words:

IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON.

End of thread.

Comment

Can you stop asking for everything UDK doesn't do already? What you have like 10 threads like this now?
              I'm sure you will ask for it to support space travel soon.

Epic Games will implement what they wish to implement, end of story.

Comment

Graylord
                ok, I stop ask about this problem again , sorry ^_^

Comment

I think you will find UDK support for Android before you see Windows Phone support - seeing as Licensees have this now, and Android having more handsets out there than Windows Phone. Seems logical that Epic would give UDK users access to the Android scene before they try for Windows Phone.

Comment

just news , windows 8 have arm and intel version , I while wish UDK support windows phone 8 / WOA(windows8 for arm) / Win8

Comment

http://davidvoyles.wordpress.com/201...nt-head-first/

Comment

Working...
                      X