No announcement yet.

Little Confused with licencing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm sort of on a non-commercial track at this point when it comes to the use of UDK...so it's not necessary to invest in the license. Not to mention that I've been using a mix of open-source, non-commercial, and some limited commercial tools myself outside of UDK...so yeah. Just another thought. However, if you were to use UDK in the commercial environment, heh, you'd be best off winning the lottery as I said, because it will cost you big.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      They're both accurate. I would imagine it would be out of range for most people even if it were a few thousand dollars. But I wouldn't be surprised if some licensees had some sub-$100,000 licenses for smaller projects.
      In this attachment: http://forums.epicgames.com/attachme...0&d=1298426608
      From this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...d-to-US-50-000

It says to contact epic after your earnings exceed $250,000 to get a unreal engine 3 source code license. I can't imagine them charging $xxx,xxx for the source code license when a company only earned $250,000. There must be a low cost version of the license.

Comment

Originally posted by WedgeBob View Post
        However, if you were to use UDK in the commercial environment, heh, you'd be best off winning the lottery as I said, because it will cost you big.
        No, it would just cost you $99.

To use UDK commercially, you only need to buy the royalty license.

The many thousand dollar license is for full source code access Unreal Engine 3. While UDK uses and is a form of limited version of UE3, they are not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tronik View Post
          It says to contact epic after your earnings exceed $250,000 to get a unreal engine 3 source code license. I can't imagine them charging $xxx,xxx for the source code license when a company only earned $250,000. There must be a low cost version of the license.
          Epic Games has been known to work with the developer in acquiring a full license if/when they do have a UDK product that reaches that kind of success.

Comment

Working...
          X