Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Confused with licencing.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Little Confused with licencing.

    I am a new UDK developer, and am developing under a personal use.
    at the moment I am learning, allot, about udk, and have come to a confusion.
    This is my question:

    Do I need a developer licence, as in, do i need to pay, to get the UDK source files?

    I am making a game that is not a first person shooter, and am very sure that I will need to actually modify how the game engine works.. so, do I need to pay for a licence, and then download the source files somewhere else or can I just wait untill I am really to distrobute the game before I ave to pay anything.

    thanks everyone in advance.

    #2
    UDK doesn't have a license option that allows access to source files. What you would need is a full Unreal Engine 3 license, which costs many thousands of dollars.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      UDK doesn't have a license option that allows access to source files. What you would need is a full Unreal Engine 3 license, which costs many thousands of dollars.
      How many thousands of dollars? Nobody seems to post a price whenever this question is asked, instead they change the topic. If you don't know the exact price, can you just replace the numbers with x's? I just want to know a price range because I eventually plan on getting the full unreal engine 3 license for source code, and so I don't have to pay royalty. Is it in the price range of low $xx,xxx or high $xx,xxx?

      Comment


        #4
        The licenses aren't a set price, Epic works with the licensee based on what they need and what they plan to use it for.

        Most likely it's $xxx,xxx.xx range

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
          The licenses aren't a set price, Epic works with the licensee based on what they need and what they plan to use it for.

          Most likely it's $xxx,xxx.xx range
          Thanks for the clearing that up. So if I wanted to buy a license only for the source code, and continue paying royalty would that be a lot cheaper?

          Comment


            #6
            Yep... You want the full Unreal Engine? Better start playing Powerball or Mega Millions and hope for a winning ticket, my friend!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tronik View Post
              Thanks for the clearing that up. So if I wanted to buy a license only for the source code, and continue paying royalty would that be a lot cheaper?
              The cost of a full Unreal 3 license is something you have to talk to Epic about, which is why an exact answer is often not available through asking the forums. Email them if you're truly interested in purchasing a full license (access to the source files).

              --- It's not cheap.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Ghostcyber View Post
                I am a new UDK developer, and am developing under a personal use.
                at the moment I am learning, allot, about udk, and have come to a confusion.
                This is my question:

                Do I need a developer licence, as in, do i need to pay, to get the UDK source files?

                I am making a game that is not a first person shooter, and am very sure that I will need to actually modify how the game engine works.. so, do I need to pay for a licence, and then download the source files somewhere else or can I just wait untill I am really to distrobute the game before I ave to pay anything.

                thanks everyone in advance.
                The UDK comes with the UnrealScript source, which for the most part will cover anything you want to make. What feature of your game would you say you needed the full engine source for instead of just UnrealScript?

                Comment


                  #9
                  What I want to do.

                  basically I want to make a game that in no way resembles unreal.. that isn't a first person shooter.. i want to make a stream of games, as soon as I can learn how to make unreal ed do what I want it to.

                  Maybe I can do this with unreal script? and if so, how do I access that? with nFringe? I wish there was a way to get more help with all of this, If i had the money I would take a class, even though I don't think I need one.


                  Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
                  The UDK comes with the UnrealScript source, which for the most part will cover anything you want to make. What feature of your game would you say you needed the full engine source for instead of just UnrealScript?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You don't need the engine source code to make a game that's not an FPS. You can pretty much make anything you want. You wouldn't really need the actual engine source code. Regular gameplay can all be setup with unrealscript.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ghostcyber View Post
                      I wish there was a way to get more help with all of this, If i had the money I would take a class, even though I don't think I need one.
                      UDN UnrealScript Home
                      Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with UnrealScript: Beginner’s Guide

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Ghostcyber View Post
                        basically I want to make a game that in no way resembles unreal.. that isn't a first person shooter.. i want to make a stream of games, as soon as I can learn how to make unreal ed do what I want it to.

                        Maybe I can do this with unreal script? and if so, how do I access that? with nFringe? I wish there was a way to get more help with all of this, If i had the money I would take a class, even though I don't think I need one.
                        Have you looked at the eat3d trainind dvds? They got a bunch for unreal engine/udk and they are all high quality(unreal script too). I recommend you give these videos a look.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          \ What you would need is a full Unreal Engine 3 license, which costs many thousands of dollars.
                          'many' thousands of dollars? Boy way to mislead the guy and get his hopes up. In short you don't need the source to create an amazing product or at the very least a proof of concept product to go raise money so that you don't have to sell you house, buy another, sell it, buy another, sell it and buy another and sell that and take all of the proceeds to get yuorself a copy of UE3. Many hundreds of thousands of dollars would have been the more appropriate response

                          Comment


                            #14
                            They're both accurate. I would imagine it would be out of range for most people even if it were a few thousand dollars. But I wouldn't be surprised if some licensees had some sub-$100,000 licenses for smaller projects.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The thing is, companies / groups who cannot afford the unreal engine license, probably don't really need it.

                              You still can make pretty much anything you want, within reason, without it. You just cannot modify the engine itself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X