Cheapest Mac...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You don't need mac for anything, just preview using emulator inside UDK and borrow someone's mac to submit the app, if you can't find any mac, try to install hackintosh in a VM, it works for simple things like these, i have tried it in past.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by exorio View Post
    is it enough to run udk-developed iOS apps on it?

what's the spec and what model if you don't mind.
    Something like a 2ghz intel core duo, 4GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (not sure the video memory, think its dedicated 256mb with 'shared memory' on top). But, I did only use this to submit with, there is no testing on the Mac, just submission. I developed on my Windows machine and use the Mobile Previewer within UDK to test.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You don't need a Mac to be able to test your UDK games for iOS. There's a previewer within UDK and then you can just cook the game and send it directly to your device with the UDK tools. Mac is only needed when you're ready to submit to the App store.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Vawx View Post
    I got my Mac Mini off Ebay for $450. Keep looking, I bet you'll be able to find something.
    is it enough to run udk-developed iOS apps on it?

what's the spec and what model if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a Mac for UDK development--that would mean paying extra when you'd just have to install Windows anyways to be able to install UDK. The only reason you need a Mac is to submit your game to the App store. In that case look for the cheapest Mac you can find because you hardly need it to do anything.
    Yeah that's the idea. And the iOS emulator are only available on mac. I've searched everywhere, can't find anything... like "unofficial" iOS emulator for windows or anykind.

My windows machine is more than sufficient for UDK itself, but playtesting and submitting to itunes would require a mac.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got my Mac Mini off Ebay for $450. Keep looking, I bet you'll be able to find something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wouldn't buy a Mac for UDK development--that would mean paying extra when you'd just have to install Windows anyways to be able to install UDK. The only reason you need a Mac is to submit your game to the App store. In that case look for the cheapest Mac you can find because you hardly need it to do anything.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oh yeah, is there any way to test the game without the remote controller for virtual sticks other than using UDK remote of iOS?

I was thinking maybe UDK could've implement dual-stick gamepads (xbox360 controler, logitech F series) for simulation on iOS virtual sticks, instead of using iDevices.

I have 3GS but it's just rather inconvenient to use. And gamepads would be far more affordable to most people.

Besides, not all games developed uses dual stick scheme to it, could be something like xbox control scheme or something.

edit : UDK turn out supports gamepads but dunno whether they can be used for iOS development or not.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Cheapest Mac...

Cheapest Mac...

... that'll be sufficient enough for developing iOS with UDK, what would that be?

I looked around and the cheapest are around $1000 or more

second hands ones are ranging around $800-$900 (including mac mini/macbookair)

******* apple are such walletsucker.

Also would the lower end mac mini (with intel graphic) sufficient enough to do this?
Working...
X