About Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Its a bit funny because I had another licensing quiestions (which weren't explain well on the UDN) and I mailed them for twice and I have got a refer (in the both of cases) to UDKDevelopmentFAQ page from them which didnt help me either.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jarro View Post
    Khm. For example, I have made a freeware UDK-based game.
    I have no possibilities to make all the content I wanted to make. That is why I didnt compile my project and put it on the WEB with fully editable UScripts to get the modding feature enabled. Does it mean I've released an Open-source project and I'm guilty now or its just an edited copy of UDK ?
    Contact this department and ask, that's the obvious thing to do! You're are getting mixed messages on here because no one really knows the correct answer..This department knows, they issue the licence!

http://www.udk.com/licensing

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As far as I'm aware there is absolutely no problems with uploading your game's raw content packages and source code for anyone to grab and drop into their UDK installation.

However, from what I understand, you are not allowed to publicly distribute a version of the UDK which you have set up with your content and scripts (e.g. a mod sdk type of thing) without first having been cooked and prepared for distribution as a game, rather than as the UDK. Your content and scripts have to be distributed on their own and link back to the UDK. This, most likely, will not allow you to maintain compatibility with the original game in terms of being truly moddable.

Furthermore, it seems that pretty much all the common Open Source licenses are utterly incompatible with the UDK's license, so you are not allowed to release your code or content under licenses such as GPL licenses. I'm not too knowledgeable about open source licenses, though, so don't take this blanket statement as absolute truth.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why can't I public a .rar file which contains all the content which I have made (scripts and models for example) ?
    Like if the players had to download the unpackaged UDK from Epic and had to put my content which would replace an everything to my work ?!

If I can (90% I can, why not ?!?!), then why not to merge it all..? Because there are unneeded default packages which grabs an odd 50% of disk space.

So basicly, modding is still supported, isn't it ?! I know that I will lost any chance to get the rights on my content, though its not needed at all since the idea of the game (on the concept stage) is to provide many of user created entities, levels, missions, MP gamemodes and vehicles (like it was in Garrys Mod) and keep it updating..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UDK just isn't a suitable platform for modding. Once packaged, it cannot be truly edited. And unpackaged, I am pretty sure you are not allowed to distribute.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are you saying that it is better to finish the project and only then to ask something about modding ?
    If you are, then I disagree with you.
    The modding becomes a really important thing of user-generated content politics, so by looking at garry's mod, minecraft (for example) I can say an everything depends on a kind of project you are working on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Indeed, you're 'game' isn't open source, just the scripts that you make for it and the models.. In order for your game to be open sourced the entire engine code would need to be available to the public.
    What you are talking about seems to just be a less organized and structured virtual collaboration, which you'd be better off structuring an adapting, especially in the beginning, if you want to get anything done

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They don't want you to redistribute UDK, I believe, especially if you claim it's your own. Even if some of the stuff is yours, it's still UDK.

A non-compiled UDK that is.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, but at the UDKDevelopmentFAQ page it says that open-source licenses are illegal but it doesnt really say what does Open-Source mean. Does it mean open-source Engine code then ?! Or is it all the content you have made and put onto public edit ?
    confused. is it any type of license you wanted to weld to it ? If it were how the players would break the license agreement ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's released under whatever license you release it under. Just because something is freely downloadable, doesn't make it open source.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic About Open-Source

About Open-Source

Khm. For example, I have made a freeware UDK-based game.
    I have no possibilities to make all the content I wanted to make. That is why I didnt compile my project and put it on the WEB with fully editable UScripts to get the modding feature enabled. Does it mean I've released an Open-source project and I'm guilty now or its just an edited copy of UDK ?
Working...
X