Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

Hello,

I am new to UDK, (not new to programming, I've got about 3 years of experience with C++, and 4 years with Game Maker) but I know how to use the level editor, content browser, that isn't a problem.
    I have Visual Studio 2008, and nfringe installed. I have the non-registered version of UDK.
    I want to make my own game, not a ut level or expansion. So my question is: where do I start, because all tutorials I found were about UT, not a game. So If anyone knows any good tutorials or sites, please post

Any help is appreciated;

DirkWillem

You start by extending Pawn, PlayerController and GameInfo - that gives you a blank game class which spawns a player and a player object. The rest is up to you.

Comment

thanks, but I don't know how to do that, is there a tutorial on that maybe?

Comment

Here's where you can find a lot of tutorials to all sorts of problems.
        http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tutorial_Portal

For your specific purpose, go to Level Design > Beginning your game

Comment

Also, for UDK, the language you need experience in is UnrealScript, not C++. So I'd look into tutorials into how to use that proprietary language as well.

Comment

Which I've heard is similar to javascript, so if you know one it helps with the other. UDKC is a great place to start for sure.. Youtube has a ton of stuff.

Comment

well, I actually don't like learning from youtube, but I have a bit experience with java (not javascript), Thanks, I'll have a look!

Comment

Then you're in luck, as you'll quickly notice, UnrealScript shares a lot of similarities with Java. I'm not familiar with nfringe, but a number of people seem to like it for UnrealScripting. If you haven't already browsed through it, the UDK documentation can be very helpful. You sound like you would be interested in the Gameplay Programming UDN Portal, which discusses actors, gametypes, etc.

Comment

UnrealScript is similar to Java, not javascript.

Not to state the obvious, but the UnrealScript Home on the UDN has tons of info.

Comment

yes, but almost all of it is UT

Comment

Working...
                    X