Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solution for textures that NEEDS to be non-power of two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for textures that NEEDS to be non-power of two?

So, I have created a honeycomb-grid tileable normal map. However, for a honeycomb like grid to be tileable it needs to be in a shape that's not in the power of two in either direction.

As far as I can tell, it's mathematically impossible to make it both tileable and in this shape. My setup is currently similar to this: http://www.zingerbugimages.com/backg...ss_pattern.jpg

Is there any workarounds? I know I cannot force it to get imported, but maybe a different way to do?

Keep the image the same size, then add space around it and bring it to a power of two resolution, then when you use it in your material you would adjust your coordinate for it to cut off the unwanted space.

Comment

I can't seem to control it well enough, how does the tiling work? It seems to strech from the upper left corner? I have the texture in the center at the moment, but lowering the U and V tiling seems to strech it in a direction, rather being centered?

Edit: Alright, I managed to get it right by putting the texture in the corner instead of the center, but it leaves the texture stretched, since it's not the same with and height.

But won't I need to use the coordinate to tile anyway? I can't use two different coordinates for the same texture, can I?

I need one tiling to crop it, and another to actually tile it.

Comment

There might be a way to use two coordinates--maybe if you plug it into another node that has a coordinates slot, but then don't use any settings for that node and just use it for coordinates. And it won't matter that it's stretched in the material, I'm guessing you're doing this for the pixels to match and that would still keep the correct number of pixels that you want. It'll just appear stretched to the square in the material.

You can also tile with your UV mapping--for your UV channel for texturing you can go beyond the 1x1 UV space.

Comment

Tried to do it by tiling the UVMap, but the borders do appear.

Comment

Does it need to be perfect?

i took a crack at it and this seems to look ok, and if you need it to be larger chunks should not be too hard.

Tiled two times (512)

Comment

I Use a plugin for photoshop called vTools which generates hex patterns, it can be found at:
              http://home.insightbb.com/~jamestaylor/

The Author even mentions that you can't have a power of 2 tiling hex pattern, and his script distorts them a little bit.

Comment

1) Unlink width and height proportions constraint.
                2) Resample to 256x256.
                3) Import to Unreal.
                4) Set UV tiling such that height is 1.1289x larger than width.

Comment

Thanks, that's working perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                  X