Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does nobody know anything about networking UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does nobody know anything about networking UDK?

Before I start, I'm not trying to be inflammatory/raging, but I guess I am being somewhat confrontational here.

Networking UDK is a total nightmare. Everything is all fine and magical when you have a proper Unreal license or are making a UT mod, but it seems to be literally completely impossible to network the UDK. There are no examples out in the wild of a game that actually works online, and on LAN the only one is this which is littered with comments about dumb workarounds for the given networking stack.

Why is there no work going into this? It seems to me that a multiplayer game that could actually be sold is literally completely impossible to make with the UDK. I'd love to hear any comments on this. I've been previously working on a heavily reworked build, with tons of new code and content, and I assumed that my networking troubles were probably my own error. I upgraded to the December build today and tried to network two computers with completely unaltered setups, and the first thing I noticed was that you can no longer start a multiplayer game from the menu...? Okay, so I went and created a dedicated server using "UDK.exe server DM-Deck". I tried to connect to it and I got this message on the server console (which I was also getting in the past):

Code:
    [0184.97] NetComeGo: Open TheWorld 12/29/11 00:26:08 192.168.10.138
    [0223.97] NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_1 192.168.10.138:55715
    This was done on two computers with the exact same 2011-12 build, compiled in Release mode, then one used as a dedicated server and the other connected through the console using "open <ip>".

I was able to get this working a long time ago in a build at least a year old; I don't even remember how, and there were bizarre conditions to it like "the server had to be running Steam while the client had to not be running Steam". This doesn't sound like something acceptable to me for a game that we actually want to sell at some point.

I've spent hours going through every post on the entire UDK section here about networking. Some of them have been at least slightly helpful, but none have really solved any of the problems. Most people posting that they had trouble seemed to be having difficulties with online play as opposed to LAN. Maybe this happens to be an issue new to the December UDK, but there's still no solution to the problems with online play.

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Could anyone shed any light on this situation in general? Maybe even someone from Epic if you guys read the forums?

Both packages must be exactly the same, so you need to make sure that one PC compiles it and the distributes it. Networking in Unreal Engine is not a simplistic task as it is very similar to multi threaded programming. I have worked on several UDK projects which are all multiplayer and we are not experiencing any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
      Both packages must be exactly the same, so you need to make sure that one PC compiles it and the distributes it. Networking in Unreal Engine is not a simplistic task as it is very similar to multi threaded programming. I have worked on several UDK projects which are all multiplayer and we are not experiencing any problems.
      this might be right. but i also have the problem, that there is no example for networking udk in the world wide web. no description where to begin. i have worked with much other engines like cryengine3 and unity for example. and for these engine you can find enougth examples for networking in the www. but for udk it doesn't. why? i have coded mmo network engines with socket tcp/ip. i have found a possibility to use it in udk. but this is ****. i need only a little kick.

Comment

Wormbo gives you the kick:
        http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Everyth...raid_to_ask%29

Comment

Originally posted by FoxueR View Post
          I was able to get this working a long time ago in a build at least a year old
          same here
          i cant seem to connect over internet no matter what i try.
          -nosteam and such doesnt work, various open ports and router settings make no difference, ive no idea what to do.
          when i made Unwheel2 (c2010) it just worked with open <ip address>

edit:
          @crusha
          good link but thats just replication, thats what you need to know once you can connect. its connecting in the first place that doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
            yes, that was a nice article. but in the beginning i miss something. what can it be? yes, its the beginning i miss. there is no description how to setup a server and how to setup a client.
            that must be at first, before you can transfer data. and thats my problem. no example in the www.

Comment

Working...
            X