Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-scaleform UI?

So,

I've been working on a game project for a bit now. It's my first major project, and I'm wanting to make a menu. All I can really find for advanced UI tutorials for Canvas (or non-scaleform UI). So, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping that someone can answer:

Do I have to get Adobe Flash Pro. to make Scaleform Graphics?
    If Not, what can I use that will be free? (If there is anything)
    If not, where can I find some good beginner-advanced canvas UI tutorials?

Thanks for any help : ).

Best beginner tutorials for Canvas is to just experiment with the HUD and Canvas so you learn how to draw Materials, Textures and Text. From there, you see how you can hook in input. Then you have a simple UI to begin with.

Comment

Students/etc. might be able to get Flash tools from Adobe for a lower price. Not sure of similar software. I will not use Scaleform and focus on making a usable interface with Canvas and HUD only (no Flash experience and the needed tools (that work well) are seemingly quite scarce and/or expensive).

The programming section has a thread which concentrates on building a open-source Canvas-based UI framework as a community-effort. Check it out.

If you know Flash and Actionscript and have the tools then Scaleform could be the better way to do it. If you know (even a little) how to program Unrealscript then Canvas+HUD is good also, you just need to play around a bit when getting interactions and animations in working condition.

A good mix could be to code UI Kismet classes (windows, buttons, etc.) and use Kismet to arrange the menus and such. Not sure how possible this is though.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
        Students/etc. might be able to get Flash tools from Adobe for a lower price.
        The "lower price" is still 350€ for the version with Flash, though. Nothing that someone would afford when he is not 100% sure that he will go serious with his project and sell it.

But hey, if you plan on coding your stuff in the Canvas anyway, why don't you actually team up with us for the community project?

Comment

i would like to learn scaleform or canvas. ive found both very longwinded to say the least and havnt managed to get anything in game with them.is a stumbling block for me . i resorted to making my own ways,which by end worked pretty well.i managed to add animated backgrounds to vid below using bik files.. it worked well for a very basic game.its only problem was it had no mouse support which does make alot of people think it sucks full stop which is sort of true... but i keep reminding myself f12011 doesnt have mouse supoort either so why should i care if my learning attempts dont either.

forum post:
          http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...rm-is-easy-%29

A good mix could be to code UI Kismet classes (windows, buttons, etc.) and use Kismet to arrange the menus and such. Not sure how possible this is though.
          sounds awesome , the menu is something iam going to come back to later on. worry about the actual games first.

Comment

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

a little tank game ive just started. :} . tank moves left and right, a and d keys,has link gun and rocket launcher as weapons so far only shoots straight. deploys smoke by pressing 4, defensive flares pressing 5.power jump lol normal jump with rocket effect cant get thrusters to work. the smokes,flares have sounds and text popups on screen when activated.respawns when dead.

ai badguy, moves along screen bashing his hammer. damages player if hammer hits tank. blows up when shot.drops health

is a puzzle just off screen to. like i say only few hours in so far.

reason i posted it is because like my menu none of the above done the proper way ,is all made up as i go along. ie no scripting.

Comment

its odd that a 'free' game engine uses a gui system thet is very far from free.
              please get involved with the community effort crusher mentioned if you can.

someone here managed to use Flashdevelop and Vectorian Giotto, i tried this with no success.
              http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...d-FlashDevelop

you could also use real 3d objects like this, but its far from ideal.
              http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...hout-Scaleform

Comment

Working...
              X