Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit confused about basics

Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about the way things are going with my project. I guess there is one or two things that I didn't get, and I sincerly hope some of you, guys, will give some clarifications to me, I need a better comprehension of the usual pipeline of the UDK.

First thing first, let me introduce myself because I didn't do it yet and you have to know who's facing you to speak with ^^. I'm a french 31 y.o. developer with 15 years experience in 2D/3D graphic design. I came to iOS development 2 years ago, I did learn objective C and published about 10 apps on the app store using Apple's SDK and APIs. (you can check it out by searching VICOSOFT on the app store).
    It's my revenues source. By now, I only made 2D games and utilities but I would like to use my 3D skills to release my first 3D game on iDevices. I don't want to play it easy anymore.

NOW, let's talk about things who really matters: I have a detailed game concept and graphic design (as you all on this forum). It's not a FPS. Modeling/Texturing/Skinning/Animations are DONE. It's time to code. My first question was "Should I use Unity, or Unreal Engine..?" I did experiment Unity for a couple of weeks and did answered myself -> easy to use but rendering sucks. Alright, I'm gonna put my *** in that chair to become a UDK Master

I've started learning 2 weeks ago, watched a lot of DVD tutorials and other stuff on the web, I'm ok with the editor and the use of its components and ideas (static/skeletal meshes, material shaders, animSets, animtrees, post-processing (whatever you want) and I also started using unreal script. Cool.

Basically, the main component of the game is :
    -a catapult armed by the user with a slider, its orientation is given with touches on screen.
    -A living projectile placed using a socket (maybe it's bad since the projectile will have to fly?)
    -A camera attached to the effector, placed just behind the projectile while aiming (who have to follow the projectile moves);

Things that I still can't get are:

1- WHY the HELL is it so mysterious to put a simple static camera instead of this walking player ??? In a tutorial, they used a looping director group in matinée, I did it, and ok it works till now but, isn't it a bad idea to proceed like that, I mean it's probably not the way I should do it if my camera will need some dynamic properties. The other way (the good way, i guess) seems to modify 3 native classes (or subclass it) but you have to be Einstein to do it and get a fresh new custom cam ??? Let's say I do it, how I would adjust the cam angle and coordinates in my script without previewing things?

2.a- I read "pawn" here and "pawn" there, but what's a PAAAAWN ?!!! The UDK documentation says it's everything that's "living" in your level but do not explains more specificaly. (By "living", does it means "who could die" or just "controled by the player" or "animated and controled by the IA" ?)

2.b- Should my catapult be a pawn ? But if its a skeletalMesh, how could it be a pawn ?

3- Same question for the projectile, as it is a living creature who will fly in the air then land (or should I say "crash") followed by the cam.

4- Am I crazy to believe that I would do a multiplayer game for my first shot with UDK (game center)?

5- I have some unrealScript misteries to resolve, and maybe I'll have to cry again on this forum about that, but I'll try to find my way.

You can totally do the camera with Kismet that way.

and you could use Kismet to setup the Catapult controls and to change to the projectile camera.

What I'd do is use the Kismet mobile input nodes to figure out how someone is moving their finger on the screen, then use a Set Actor Location node to change the rotation of your catapult. Then you could have a button on screen that when you press it it would switch to a different Matinee that is your projectile camera.

The only thing that I wouldn't be sure about would be how to setup your projectile.

BTW Pawn is basically your character, the thing you are controlling, but you don't always have to be the pawn to have a game as long as you get things functioning. I have a scene where all the pawn settings are disabled and I'm just switching between cameras that are positioned with Kismet

Comment

Thank for your answer, Darthviper107
      Your idea of using 2 matinee in kismet to switch between 2 cams is a good trick, much easier, I did not even thought at this. Thx.

About the projectile, I guess I'll have to deal with physics in order to assign some weight to the body and its initial velocity;
      By the way, is there an alternative to the matinee mover track to add velocity to a flying object ?

I think I get what is the pawn class. It adds specific gaming options to a player, who is not always just a skeletal mesh, but would have to manage for eg a inventory or special abilities...etc. Is it right ?

Comment

for the projectile have a look at the script for the grenades.
        you maybe could do it all in kismet but at some point you are going to have to touch the scripting side (no way round it im affraid even just for the gametype)

a pawn is usually a representation of the player or ai, character, vehicle, physics ball or whatever. it can have an inventory and can manage abilities but its not totally required by the engine.
        its really up to you how you manage this.
        cameras a really easy in script and theres some good examples out there.

Comment

Hi,
          Originally posted by tegleg View Post
          for the projectile have a look at the script for the grenades.
          I can't find it, where is it, pls, ?

you maybe could do it all in kismet but at some point you are going to have to touch the scripting side (no way round it im affraid even just for the gametype)
          You're right, in fact I don't worry about scripting, its just I'll need lot of time searching for available functions and properties in the documentation...

a pawn is usually a representation of the player or ai, character, vehicle, physics ball or whatever. it can have an inventory and can manage abilities but its not totally required by the engine.
          I think I should take a better look on what that class is offering, cuz I would not run a wrong direction.

=its really up to you how you manage this.
          cameras a really easy in script and theres some good examples out there.
          Yeah, I did check yours, sure it will help.

Thanks a lot

Comment

UTGame/Classes/UTProj_Grenade.uc
            the rocket launcher fires them

UDK*** classes are probably the best to extend from.
            UDKPawn.uc
            because they have usefull functions but are not cluttered with stuff you dont need like the UT*** classes
            UT classes serve as good examples of how to imlement certain things and are well worth looking through.

Comment

O....M...G ! I've just discovered THE easy way to set a new camera without Matinée && without any scripting:
              In Kismet, right clic New Action -> Camera -> setCameraTarget (then plug it to a levelLoaded, or any trigger)

(was so simple and I didn't know it until today...)

Comment

Working...
              X