Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC or MAC??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PC or MAC??

    which is better for developing games???
    can i use a pc and publich ios games or do i need mac?
    and which computer do u recommend?
    thx in advance

    #2
    Since everything is made for PCs, you can feel confident that you won't have any unexpected surprises that Apple failed to mention. Also, Apple is just one company providing for your computer needs. PCs are made and provided for my multiple companies, one piece at a time. You can custom build your own PC by buying parts from NewEgg.com and make exactly the computer you want. Apple can't offer that. Go with the computer that has the most support from the world.

    As for iOS, I think you just need an iOS device to test the games on. I don't have any real-world experience with that, though.

    Comment


      #3
      Well, you can't use UDK on a Mac without also installing Windows on a Mac. Many other development programs are Windows-only as well (like 3ds Max).

      So you could get a Mac if you really want to, but you'd have to use Windows anyways, so there's no point in paying the high price of a Mac just to use Windows on it.

      Best option is to get a Desktop, but that might not be an option if you require a mobile computer.

      However, you still need a Mac to be able to add iOS games to the App store. It's not needed for development though, you can still use Windows for testing on an iOS device, but it can't submit the finished app to the store.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        However, you still need a Mac to be able to add iOS games to the App store. It's not needed for development though, you can still use Windows for testing on an iOS device, but it can't submit the finished app to the store.
        LOL. Wow, I didn't know that. They sure love to give people the middle finger, don't they? That's just harsh: forcing people to use an Apple computer just to upload something. Are you sure about that info?

        Comment


          #5
          alright i have a PC currently and luv it.....maybe i can buy a cheap mac to upload the app then.....alright thx

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Baructt View Post
            LOL. Wow, I didn't know that. They sure love to give people the middle finger, don't they? That's just harsh: forcing people to use an Apple computer just to upload something. Are you sure about that info?
            Blame apple, it's their choice to make you have to use a Mac to submit an app to their store.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
              Blame apple, it's their choice to make you have to use a Mac to submit an app to their store.
              yeah thats so dumb!!!!
              well im going to build me a PC

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by the taco ninja View Post
                maybe i can buy a cheap mac to upload the app then
                Unfortunately the words "cheap" and "mac" don't generally go hand-in-hand, especially as Apple are great ones for requiring the very latest OSX version to do things and often drop support for old hardware regularly (e.g. If Apple made Windows, then XP would have been killed off completely 5 years ago). Even setting OSX up as a virtual machine under windows will cause difficulties, in fact I'm fairly sure I discovered that you're even not "legally" allowed to use a VM (or even a hackintosh) for development and submission of iOS apps due to their license agreements requiring use of Apple hardware.

                Your best course of action for the time being may be to develop your game on a PC until you've got it at a near final stage and borrowing use of a Mac from a friend or colleague to submit it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Alex D View Post
                  Unfortunately the words "cheap" and "mac" don't generally go hand-in-hand, especially as Apple are great ones for requiring the very latest OSX version to do things and often drop support for old hardware regularly (e.g. If Apple made Windows, then XP would have been killed off completely 5 years ago). Even setting OSX up as a virtual machine under windows will cause difficulties, in fact I'm fairly sure I discovered that you're even not "legally" allowed to use a VM (or even a hackintosh) for development and submission of iOS apps due to their license agreements requiring use of Apple hardware.

                  Your best course of action for the time being may be to develop your game on a PC until you've got it at a near final stage and borrowing use of a Mac from a friend or colleague to submit it.
                  yeah that sounds like a plan........jeez apple just wants all ur money dont they???

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by the taco ninja View Post
                    alright i have a PC currently and luv it.....maybe i can buy a cheap mac to upload the app then.....alright thx
                    Well, a Mac Mini could do the trick for app development after the fact, but for the short term, just build a decent development PC and then develop through UDK on Windows first, then decide on getting the other when you are ready for it.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I wouldn't try to run UDK on a Mac Mini down to the fact the hardware is low end mobile - the GPUs are usually very weak. It's fine for deploying the app to the app store though.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                        I wouldn't try to run UDK on a Mac Mini down to the fact the hardware is low end mobile - the GPUs are usually very weak. It's fine for deploying the app to the app store though.
                        ah!ok...thanks every1

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X