good but cheap machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good but cheap machine

Hello everybody. I am planning on begining to build my visual effects/programming/personal/game development PC. My first instinct is to go to new egg and start hunting. what do you suggest. Price range < $500 U.S.. Thank you.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~c...5~0~812581&p=1

-This is ok; the most important thing for games is the Graphics Card.

For a few more buckaroos, you could get this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8300/pd...el_id=xps-8300

Remember Chrismas is right around the block. Wait a little bit more, and you will probably get a better deal with more value.

p.s I have a Dell XPS 8100, and I'm loving it.

Comment

If you're going to buy a desktop, save money by building your own. It's not very hard and the parts are a lot cheaper.

Comment

I'm running an Intel i3 processor and a first generation DX11 graphics card. That should at least get you started. Just look for good reviews from buyers on NewEgg.

Also, make sure that you get a case/tower that has good ventillation (lots of fans). Don't be fooled by a cheap power supply that comes with a case. Buying a good PS is worth it; I recommend Corsair brand. A great bonus for cooling that you don't want to skip is called a mosfet heatsink. It's a tiny heatsink (piece of metal that cools) that goes on the chips in your computer that get hot. They're fantastic; you should get two packages of 'em. While I'm on the subject, it's best to buy a nice CPU heatsink instead of using the stock one. Graphics card heatsinks are often good enough. Of course, all of this will bring the price up a bit, but a good computer requires money to build. There is no such thing as a cheap good computer.

Comment

I agree with darthviper and Baructt
          You can get more bang for your buck if you build your own system.

For instance:
          Just purchased from New Egg, a system imho is a good base. Currently waiting for it to arrive.

i5-2500k 3.3Ghz
          Gigabyte Z68 based mobo (Seems to be better than the P67 imo)
          8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600

BTW: ASUS Mobos have a very good history for features and reliability and I almost bought one but lately some builders seem to be encountering some flame up's. That may be a builder error but something to consider. I suggest taking any reviews with a grain of salt as they may not reflect a typical experience or product viability. Again, research your choices.

Anyway, That's about the middle of the road system that should scale well with upgrades.
          My suggestion is to read reviews of anything before buying and don't skimp on the mobo as
          you might be sorry when you need new drivers and the manufacturer wont update them :-(
          or want to upgrade the CPU chip but are limited in type or clock speed.

Then you need to consider a Graphics card as Godzab suggested and keep in mind the capabilities of current mobo graphics. The current i5/i7 implementations seem to easily beat a Radeon/AMD HD 5450 without overclocking so any discrete (PCIe) Graphics card you choose should beat a 5470's or equivalent performance quite significantly.

But, just to run UDK, if you are budget conscious, maybe go for the good CPU and mobo and add the graphics card later. UDK runs pretty good on a Radeon/AMD 3850 or 4670 and as that is well below the Radeon/AMD 5450 performance an i5 or i7 is likely to achieve with mobo graphics ,thereby using the aforementioned system configuration I used for a mid system may be an OK start.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts or comments to my analysis so keep checking the thread!

Ultimately what you decide is up to you.

Hope that helps and wish you the best of luck !

Comment

There is no such thing as a cheap good computer
            iam running an old amd dual core 2.8 on xp 32bit.3 gig ram ddr2 , gtx260 gpu. hasnt failed to run anything ive thrown at it over last 2 years{games,udk,3dmax,aftereffects,photohop,cubase .}.iam currently looking to upgrade the cpu to 3.6 quadcore 100£ which was planned when i bought the pc 2 years ago. all in all my pc was cheap and i cant fault it. only times it shows lack of power is when rendering after effects animations or compliling lighting in large maps..for udk it works well because u have to make games scalable for many spec machines so rarely do u max everything.
            iam considering not upgrading my cpu and getting an iphone instead.would be nice for making ios games.

so dont necassary fall to the claim you need i7,8gb ram minimum. aslong as the graphics card is good it will run well.500$ is a good budget. it is worth getting a good psu and case like others mention.

Comment

Originally posted by kg777 View Post
              iam running an old amd dual core 2.8 on xp 32bit.3 gig ram ddr2 , gtx260 gpu. hasnt failed to run anything ive thrown at it over last 2 years{games,udk,3dmax,aftereffects,photohop,cubase .}.iam currently looking to upgrade the cpu to 3.6 quadcore 100£ which was planned when i bought the pc 2 years ago. all in all my pc was cheap and i cant fault it. only times it shows lack of power is when rendering after effects animations or compliling lighting in large maps..for udk it works well because u have to make games scalable for many spec machines so rarely do u max everything.
              iam considering not upgrading my cpu and getting an iphone instead.would be nice for making ios games.

so dont necassary fall to the claim you need i7,8gb ram minimum. aslong as the graphics card is good it will run well.500$ is a good budget. it is worth getting a good psu and case like others mention.
              If you read my entire post, then you know the kind of low-end PC that I recommend. If you really analyze the costs of building a computer using even low-powered parts, it still amounts to more than $500. On my last upgrade to an i3 processor and first generation graphics card, I spent over $600 since I had to buy a new mobo, RAM, CPU cooler, and power supply. That doesn't even include all of the other parts of a computer. It can easily cost around $1000 just for a low-powered computer. Never expect a cheap, good computer. Anyone who promises one is skipping something important in the build.

Comment

wow your shopping at the wrong place Baructt O_o
                i managed to upgrade an ancient pc for under 200 quid and it runs udk very nicely indeed.
                motherboard + accesories, proccessor, ram, power supply, gfx card (second hand).
                all i kept from the old pc was the case, keyboard, mouse and monitor. probably another 200 if i had to buy those as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                  wow your shopping at the wrong place Baructt O_o
                  i managed to upgrade an ancient pc for under 200 quid and it runs udk very nicely indeed.
                  motherboard + accesories, proccessor, ram, power supply, gfx card (second hand).
                  all i kept from the old pc was the case, keyboard, mouse and monitor. probably another 200 if i had to buy those as well.
                  If you buy off of eBay, then you can get that kind of price, but I bought my stuff new. A low-end processor and motherboard cost around $300 for the two combined. Add to that $100 worth of RAM plus $100-$150 for a graphics card and you're already over $500 when you include taxes and shipping. Go ahead and look it up on NewEgg.com. It's the most popular online computer store. Honestly, I dread to think of the kind of PC you ended up with for 200. That sounds absurd, even considering that British pounds are more valuable than dollars.

Comment

if you want the latest and greatest then yes you will pay a ton, wait another year and you will cry cos it will be a rubbish computer again compared to the new stuff.
                    if, however, your goal is to buy a pc that will run udk and other 3d packages without any problem than you can do it for not much money at all.

for example, almost any of these motherboard/proccessor kits would do it.
                    thats including your ram and proccessor fans and such, and you can walk into the store and get it.
                    then all you need is a gfx card. for a new one your looking at a hefty wodge but you dont totally need anything like that.
                    even a 9 series nvidia would be fine and you can get those for next to nothing, even a dx11 card isnt much nowerdays.

so the conclusion is if you have not much money you can get an inexpensive computor that will run udk, you just need to shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                      if you want the latest and greatest then yes you will pay a ton, wait another year and you will cry cos it will be a rubbish computer again compared to the new stuff.
                      if, however, your goal is to buy a pc that will run udk and other 3d packages without any problem than you can do it for not much money at all.

for example, almost any of these motherboard/proccessor kits would do it.
                      thats including your ram and proccessor fans and such, and you can walk into the store and get it.
                      then all you need is a gfx card. for a new one your looking at a hefty wodge but you dont totally need anything like that.
                      even a 9 series nvidia would be fine and you can get those for next to nothing, even a dx11 card isnt much nowerdays.

so the conclusion is if you have not much money you can get an inexpensive computor that will run udk, you just need to shop around.
                      Those processors are AMD. They're always cheaper than Intel because they're not as good. In addition, all the website needs to do to bring the cost down is sell old parts which are always cheaper than new ones. As I said, if you want to shop on eBay, you can get the same price. (BTW, 1 British pound = 1.5546 US dollars.)

EDIT: After taking a closer look at that website, I see that they're not actually telling all of the specs on the hardware. Important details that people need to know are being left out, so there's no way to know entirely what you're getting (just like with eBay). This reason is why NewEgg is so popular. All of the options on that site are phenomenal for choosing the right hardware. There are always reasons for things to be cheaper than the good stuff. That's why I said that there's no such thing as a cheap, good computer. It all depends on how someone defines "good."

Comment

Are you going to use this computor for computor gaming. If you are, really consider about either upgrading it, or buying a computor with a nice graphics card. Also here is also a website I recommend:http://www.tigerdirect.com/

As DarthViper said building your own computor would be better. Its much cheapier and better in my opinion if your aiming to spend less money. Also any CPU with, or more than 2Ghz and more than 4GB RAM will work just fine.
                        Here are my specs:
                        CPU:i7-870(alot of the intel processors are 2nd gen; they use turbo boost)
                        RAM:6GB
                        GPU:Ati Radeon hd 5450(nice budget card: )
                        HDD:1Tb

Comment

ok the answer is you get what you pay for. that said it depends on what you have to start with, if you don't have anything then your not going to get alot with $500, don't forget you need a harddrive + Ram + motherboard + graphicscard + OS + powersupply + case + keyboard + monitor.

might be an idea to make a list of what you have/need then start picking

Comment

Working...
                          X