Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real-Time Surround Sound from the Environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real-Time Surround Sound from the Environment?

I've always been surprised by Unreal's lack of audio settings in games. I may now understand why, after looking at the audio documentation on UDN. It seems that Unreal can play surround sound files upon command but can't produce real-time surround sound from the environment surrounding the player. What I mean is the ability to hear a sound moving around the player through the surround sound speakers. I'm talking about a mono sound that can travel from one speaker to another in a surround setup. I haven't seen documentation about this on UDN. Does anyone else know more about this? Since I have surround speakers on my computer, I'd love to include this option in my game.

Sounds to me like you have somehow managed to avoid any reference to soundcues. Just make a soundcue with attenuation and place it in the level. Done.

As for audio settings, sound cues has a lot of effects if that's what you mean. Otherwise you should really be looking for a sound editor, a game editor is not a sound editor.

Comment

No, I'm not talking about placing sounds in the environment at specific locations and then applying attenuation to change the volume based on distance. That's entirely different. What I want to know is if I can make my character turn around and hear a sound move around me using my surround speakers. I'll just have to test it in the editor. I doubt that Unreal supports this since there aren't any settings for surround speakers and no documentation for it. I'll experiment and see what happens.

Comment

The Unreal audio system supports spatialization of sounds.

Comment

Pretty sure the attenutation node has a tick for it, or it may be in the properties of the cue itself.

Comment

Okay, my bad. It worked perfectly. All I had to do was create the sound and it worked perfectly. I'll definitely use ambient sounds after this test. Great job, Epic. It works without needing any settings at all.

Comment

Working...
            X