Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autodesk Beast reaching UDK ?

Well, see these videos first :

As I know, Beast is a GI render which is compatible with the Unreal Engine (it was used by DICE for Mirror's Edge).
    In these videos Autodeks show beast with the UDK and the Epic citadel map.
    I was wondering if it's gonna be available for the UDK users (or licensee UDK users ?) ?
    If yes, what is the interest when we have already Lightmass ? It's still the same kind of purpose : baking bounce of the light in a lightmap ?

You probably need to license the engine and beast to get that. I don't see Autodesk giving such a product free for everyone to use.

Comment

I doubt it since we already have Lightmass. I would much rather they implement something like Geometric's Enlighten for a real-time GI solution.

Comment

The point of that tech is that lightmap recalculation is done on the fly, making iteration times on lighting very low. That said, the guy in the first video said it took 12 computers (and we don't know how powerful they are) to have it working at that speed. Not your average UDK user installation.

Plus, UE3 full license is UDK + source code, the default name of the "game" is Unreal Development Kit, so the fact that it shows UDK on the title bar doesn't mean anything. They're probably mentioning UDK because they're using UDK default content (or because they got confused, like many people )

Comment

Originally posted by Mougli View Post
          Plus, UE3 full license is UDK + source code, the default name of the "game" is Unreal Development Kit, so the fact that it shows UDK on the title bar doesn't mean anything. They're probably mentioning UDK because they're using UDK default content (or because they got confused, like many people )
          Ho, interesting! I did not know that.

Thanks for your replies !

Comment

Only thing that I can say we don't need Yet Another Lightmapping solution.
            What we need is full realtime solution.

Comment

Working...
            X